Male vs Female Game Protagonists

Discuss new games or share memories of old

Post » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:59 pm

enjoythetale wrote:@PixelRebirth It's not that it's bad to use "white straight men" but use a little less. Could be more exotic, using different cultures. Our world is full of amazing people with wonderful stories and often they are not the "white straight men".But that does not mean there are not good stories with the "white straight men", it's only for diversify a little bit, creating more different originals games.I think it's very cool the idea of non-human characters. That's just my opinion of course xD

I think you should consider letting everyone create their games the way they want, even if they do not diversify by having pink bi-curious unicorns all over the place. This also means you can go ahead and make your own insanely diverse game. If your avatar is any indication, you're not quite on track yet. But maybe he's gay at least...

TiAm wrote:Unfortunately, in many games, women and minorities are depicted in a stereotypical way, or, even worse, exist as mere visual skins, with little thought as to how such characters would really act.

In contrast I do love the always super accurate way in which straight white men are depicted. It never fails! :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:17 am

PixelRebirth wrote:
TiAm wrote:Unfortunately, in many games, women and minorities are depicted in a stereotypical way, or, even worse, exist as mere visual skins, with little thought as to how such characters would really act.

In contrast I do love the always super accurate way in which straight white men are depicted. It never fails! :P

Touché. :)

Or...maybe we do all have super-muscles and bazooka's? :lol:
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:03 am

@TiAm I fully agree with what you said about getting out of the comfort zone. This is something I'm doing at the moment, it's really challenging, but I'm enjoying the way in which ideas are taking. You end up surprising yourself.

-Gleison
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:28 am

This is quite hard to answer. Games like Bioshock Infinite I really don't mind the character being male because the story was so very good, plus it was necessary for the storyline.
However if a game like Skyrim did not allow gender choice than it would annoy me to no end.

I think maybe there is a difference between immersing yourself in the character (Skyrim) and immersing yourself in the Story (Bioshock).
The Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
B
S

Post » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:03 am

I see no difference tbh.
It may seem irrelevant, but my softcore characters in Diablo 3 are male whereas my hardcore characters are female.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:38 pm

MShaw wrote:Games like Bioshock Infinite I really don't mind the character being male

That's just sexist.

Whatever character a game has is because it works.

Games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls have make your own character sections because it's basically just a "I wish I was in another universe" simulator.

Games like Metroid, The Witcher, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, they're telling the story of specific characters.

Both work and are good in their own right. Most importantly both are different kinds of games.

Players shouldn't be judging games on the gender, sexual preference and skin colour of the protagonist, it should be based on the gameplay, mechanics, story and graphics.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 pm

Nesteris wrote:
MShaw wrote:Games like Bioshock Infinite I really don't mind the character being male

That's just sexist.

Sorry I'm a bit confused now, I'm sexist because I said I don't mind the character in a game being male?
The Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 am

MShaw wrote:
Nesteris wrote:

That's just sexist.

Sorry I'm a bit confused now, I'm sexist because I said I don't mind the character in a game being male?

No, it's sexist because it implies that you mind characters being male in other games.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:32 pm

Nesteris wrote:No, it's sexist because it implies that you mind characters being male in other games.

Ah yeah I can see how it can be read that way.
Male characters don't bother me at all, sorry what I was trying to say was that in open world style games the option to create a female character is an important feature to have as I like to make myself in the game; but for story based games like Bioshock the lack of ability to choose the gender of the character doesn't really matter.

That's not to say that I mind male characters in open-world games, I have male Skyrim and Fallout characters too, I just think that the option to choose female for those sorts of games is as important as being able to choose the skin colour.
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:36 pm

@MShaw

Now I agree with you. Also not that I play the game, but not having female characters in Assassins Creed Unity is just silly.
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Discussions