Many publishers do not accept construct2 html5 games

Ideas and discussion about publishing and distributing your games

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:09 pm

To clarify in my case, the need for source files were for adjustment to fit a "wrapper" (not a wrapper in the sense most of us are used to) app - the licence was a custom exclusive.

DuckfaceNinja wrote:Maybe a lot of C2 user (hobbyist or quickmoney people) submitted LQ games to them and gives them an impression of C2 games are worthless? That's dangerous, given that C2 is the easiest tool to make games, it's logical to think that a lot of LQ games are shoved into the publishers face.

The publishers I work with never have a problem with quality (which isn't really engine dependent as the HTML5 market is overwhelmingly cosmetics driven) but rather dev usability; they want a source file that they can open in something like Notepad++.

I'm literally conversing with a dev at the moment about this issue, and as I'm code-ignorant, I'm clinging to the hope that an unminified c2.js is something that can be worked with, or I'm going to have to suggest they get busy with the C2 SDK and make a plug-in that can do what they want in-engine.

Finger crossed...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Mr E Bear wrote:Can confirm - currently working through a headache with a publisher, trying to talk about source code is a nightmare.

My experience is with publishers using my HTML5 work as a kind of white-label service though; I can't see any issues with a simple publisher who posts games to portal.

It can be this, because theese 2 publishers do not want only exclusive licence... they 100% want to modify game, i think
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:26 pm

@Mr E Bear yeah that would be a bit annoying. There is no front end to a southbound C2 game, and you definitely don't want to mess with the backend.
Thats where the sdk comes into play I guess.

Edit:
#ilikebigbutts
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Mr E Bear wrote:The publishers I work with never have a problem with quality

I think I should change my wording from "quality" to "no effort" then, because I'm referring to gameplay/playability. Cosmetic wise is also a factor, but gameplay gives bigger impact imo.

I'm sure I read somewhere in FGL forum ... or probably TIG? cant remember, but oh well, I mean games like "click button to change avatar" with no purpose what so ever, the publisher were so fed up to be flooded with "no effort" kind of game. He told that the numbers of game like that are in hundreds :o (probably exaggerating to vent out his frustration)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:42 pm

@DuckfaceNinja I think publishers try out the games before looking into how they are made.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Aphrodite wrote:@DuckfaceNinja I think publishers try out the games before looking into how they are made.

Actually we have the problem of "C2 loading bar" at the beginning of the game, most of these guys never bother to change it.

I'm trying to trace back the thread, see whether I can find it again, I'll share it once I found it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Some publishers prefer that you write your own game with your own code . Yes construct 2 is wonderful , but i think that some publishers see game maker apps as some kind of cheating tool . Personally i think they should look into the creativity of a games developer , not the tools used.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:02 am

@DravenX, I think it's more because of technical reasons than a pragmatic and superficial reason like that. And I can see why.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:05 am

Oh how I pray that one day (sooner than later ;) ) that Scirra will grow and create a Scirra Publisher section. We can than send our games directly to them, and then they determine if it is of high quality than help market and publish it and share any profit. We hear many publishers having issues or wanting some extra features that the non programmers of us will find impossible. Who else besides Scirra knows full well the extent of what we are able to do with C2? ......is it too early to tell santa my christmas wish? :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:43 am

rekjl wrote:create a Scirra Publisher section.

Personally I think it is at least 1 year too early to implement this anytime now, but your idea is golden.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Distribution and Publishing