Mario RPG: Top-Down/Isometric

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Mario at his pad. You see the image from an overhead diagonal view. But try to see the image from a two-dimensional view. Imagine Mario isn't 3D but 2D, or even, imagine he's pseudo-3D. That's one way you can make top-down/isometric graphics in a game. See pic below.

Bowser looks 3D, but he's not. He's 2-D drawn at a certain angle. You can do the same for the hero and all the other stuff in your game. I don't know how isometric game physics work, but I imagine isometric worlds as pieces of paper and all the buildings and platforms as drawings on the paper and the hero walking all over the paper.

nickkname2013-04-13 15:03:50
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:57 pm

I'd imagine you can make it using the 8-directional movement behavior, but it would involve making tons of animations for every direction. It might be a huge undertaking for one person but I think it's doable.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:38 am

[QUOTE=Crackpot] I'd imagine you can make it using the 8-directional movement behavior, but it would involve making tons of animations for every direction. It might be a huge undertaking for one person but I think it's doable. [/QUOTE]

I hadn't thought of that. Good idea!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 pm

I tried to make an isometric game a while ago with r0j0's help. His isometric sorting algo was very good, but a little too cpu intensive with too many objects on the screen and ontop of that I hadn't collisions working also :/.

I found a really interesting game maker example here:
Link

You need game maker installed to open the gmk file.

I let a friend compile it. I uploaded it to my dropbox -> Link.

I looked at the sourcecode via gmk file, but I couldn't port it to C2 :/
Maybe someone else could.^^

edit: arrow keys to move and z to jumpzyblade2013-04-19 22:07:50
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:23 am

[QUOTE=zyblade] I tried to make an isometric game a while ago with r0j0's help. His isometric sorting algo was very good, but a little too cpu intensive with too many objects on the screen and ontop of that I hadn't collisions working also :/.

I found a really interesting game maker example here:
Link

You need game maker installed to open the gmk file.

I let a friend compile it. I uploaded it to my dropbox -> Link.

I looked at the sourcecode via gmk file, but I couldn't port it to C2 :/
Maybe someone else could.^^

edit: arrow keys to move and z to jump[/QUOTE]

Why not just copy the code as closely as possible?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:39 am

Because game makers structure is very...distinct. There are so many options to choose, where you can input the code. It's not that logical and easy as in Construct, where I know, it reads my code from top to bottom in the written order. In GM every single object has its own 4-5 options where I can input code. Can't describe it, because I don't understand it.
I already posted the demo >here<.

Maybe someone else will port it. I like the demo because has working collisions and is less cpu intensive.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:58 am

[QUOTE=zyblade] Because game makers structure is very...distinct. There are so many options to choose, where you can input the code. It's not that logical and easy as in Construct, where I know, it reads my code from top to bottom in the written order. In GM every single object has its own 4-5 options where I can input code. Can't describe it, because I don't understand it.
I already posted the demo >here<.

Maybe someone else will port it. I like the demo because has working collisions and is less cpu intensive.[/QUOTE]

Game Maker was a pain for me when I tried it, but I'm not that much into coding myself.

Thanks for the link! The graphics look like they're from Mario & Luigi. Hopefully someone will demo it soon.
B
S
G

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas