Masking with transparency?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:41 am

I'm trying to make a platformer where the main platforms are created from a large texture that is masked to the shape of a series of white platforms on another layer.

This works fine using this method: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1336/making-a-simple-mask

Except that the resulting mask has no transparency, so you can't see the background layers behind it.

I'd really love to make my game this way, as it will save me a million years, and also nail the aesthetic that I'm looking for, so I'd love any help in getting this working.

Thanks in advance.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:03 am

You should really explain more or add an example capx, because "Platforms created from a large texture", "white platforms" doesn't really tell much..

What I do see is that you are talking about another layer, while in the "making a simple mask" example they use the same layer with "force own texture"..
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:07 am

Sorry, you might be right. Re-reading that it's not super clear what I'm trying to do.

I'm putting together a capx as we speak.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:18 am

Here's the capx file to demonstrate what I'm trying to do.

http://www.wethesqueemish.com/construct/masking/MaskingIssue.capx

So to break it down a little clearer:

I've made a dirt layer.
I want to mask that dirt layer to another layer that has various platforms (made from a white tiled object).
I've used the method from the above tutorial, putting the white platforms on Destination Out and having the layer force texture and non transparent.
This works as far as the dirt texture goes, it's masking to the shape of the white platforms perfectly.
The problem is though, the background is no longer transparent, so I can't see my sky layer which is below the others.

Hopefully that's clearer, thanks for your help.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:50 pm

I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:20 pm

Wow thanks, that looks perfect!

Yay!
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?