Massive File Bug is back...

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Helping streamers give their viewers more excitement.
  • Well, some time ago someone (I would say 'I won't name names' but instead I'll say 'I have no idea who it was') posted about their file being corrupted. The file, upon being saved, became larger, and after several saves Construct reported 'out of memory' and failed to save the last of the file, resulting on an 'attempt to read an unnamed file past its end' upon load.

Well, that's happening again. Specifically, whenever I save with Attributes (ie Solid, Destroy when far) and has already claimed my copy of the Phys-Box cap, the only backups of having been on D2K5 when their servers were DDOS'd (no proof, however someone was uploading anti-scientologist content to it and posting public links - I wouldn't put it past them anymore) or went down and pretty much all files were lost.

Well, anyway, the cap is here:

Daonrowd

Also, Ashley, if you manage to recover this, it may also provide some insight into the System+Family bug (System object disappearing) as in the new version, that's still happening to me.

What I was doing here was a bit of physics again, experimenting with a physical dragging system (it's simple, trust me) and needed a way to remove them without having to put in an event for each object.

Another note: 'Destroy' does not work with Families.

I'm going to go reconstruct at least the dragging system now.

For those who want to know:

Physics -> Set Velocity

X: MouseX - Sprite.X

Y: MouseY - Sprite.Y

I was so sad I never thought of it before, since it's so effective (in three events I had a functional dragging system, one for pickup, one for drop, and one for while dragging - including not being able to accidentally grab another object) but this unfortunate bug and also the little issue with the system object kind of killed that.

Hope you can work something out about this.

• I'm going to go reconstruct at least the dragging system now.

For those who want to know:

Physics -> Set Velocity

Holy... whoa.

It's so simple, and yet so perfect. This works like a dream. You are a friggin genius.

Good luck getting your other stuff sorted out. I hope you can salvage your work.

• Thank you.

Yeah, I've pretty much salvaged that (well, I got the system going again AND inadvertently figured out how to do lines). I'm going to start rebuilding Phys-Box from the ground up later next week, which will be great fun (I mean that both literally and sarcastically). This time, I might do it properly, the way I wanted to do it before.

• [quote:22ae0mvf]Physics -> Set Velocity

Awesome! Also, if you use:

(MouseX - Sprite.X) * 3

(MouseY - Sprite.Y) * 3

it follows the mouse quicker (you can use other values like 2-5 to adjust this), but also means anything it hits is batted away with more force.

I hadn't been able to figure this out, but thanks for the find, might be able to adapt this to other movements

As for the .cap, sorry, looks pretty junked up, not sure if I can do anything about it I'm afraid

• Heh, Drew, I reported each of the bugs you said (families bug and the EVIL BUG OF THE FILE SIZE)

THAT DRAGGING SYSTEM... I LOVE YOU

• I've got the same problem.

I can't make any progress on my game because every so often Construct randomly decides to tell me "OUT OF MEMORY" when I save, and I have to revert to the most recent backup copy of my game. When it does this, it renders my current .cap useless and corrupt.

Originally I was under the impression that this was because I was cramming too many super-high-res background layers in, but alas, it seems to be a random bug.

Please help me, I unfortunately have not been making backup copies every five seconds and now must leave Construct and my computer running until I find a solution.

• I know the problem, Ashley knows it, but he can't find the cause.

If you open the file with a text editor there are millions of "�" that increase at each save.

The problem is with some loop in the saving routine.

• I know the problem, Ashley knows it, but he can't find the cause.

If you open the file with a text editor there are millions of "�" that increase at each save.

The problem is with some loop in the saving routine.

Blargh.

This is pretty frustrating. I can't work at all. How many other people are having this problem? It isn't just me and him, is it?

EDIT: Any chance deleteing the "i"'s with a text editor would help?

EDIT EDIT: I did that, and it's telling me it was made with a previous version of construct and is incompatible. Shrunk the file from 138 MB to 10MB, though. For some reason I find this very funny and oddly satisfying. For fun, I'm going to paste a few of the little multiplying symbols back in.

• EDIT EDIT: I did that, and it's telling me it was made with a previous version of construct and is incompatible. Shrunk the file from 138 MB to 10MB, though. For some reason I find this very funny and oddly satisfying. For fun, I'm going to paste a few of the little multiplying symbols back in.

I did that, and I got your same error, so it should be related even to loading a cap or... we deleted something inbetween.

• >

> EDIT EDIT: I did that, and it's telling me it was made with a previous version of construct and is incompatible. Shrunk the file from 138 MB to 10MB, though. For some reason I find this very funny and oddly satisfying. For fun, I'm going to paste a few of the little multiplying symbols back in.

>

I did that, and I got your same error, so it should be related even to loading a cap or... we deleted something inbetween.

::DUN DUN DUN:: Thank goodness for my feverish backing-up habit.

I'd upload my functional .cap and demand Ashley fix all the little i's, but it's 138 megs right now.

• The best way to avoid it is to save only once or twice and restart construct regularly. It's frustrating, but it avoids a lot of problems later on.

I also got a whole bunch of nice things working for me right now.

I uninstalled 0.91 two nights ago immediately before remembering my home internet connection is out because I had a botnet virus and my ISP took me down (should be back in four days). So I'm posting from a friend's place right now.

At any rate, I found a copy of 0.89 and worked with that for a while yesterday and have recovered most all of my work without a single error or crash (except one, but that was my fault )

0.89 feels so stable and safe ._.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just to echo what was said in another thread - this bug should be fixed in 0.92, and apparently if you remove families from your application, the bloating will not occur.

• Just to echo what was said in another thread - this bug should be fixed in 0.92, and apparently if you remove families from your application, the bloating will not occur.

Release an hot-fix.

NAU.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)