Match-3 mechanics

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:05 am

Hello.

Everybody probably played casual games genre of match-3. For example: Cradle of Rome, Treasures of Montezuma. There is a field in the game in which about 64 squares (8 horizontal and 8 vertical), principle of the game - to collect the same pieces in a series of 3 or more moving their places.

Tell me please how to create a similar game mechanics in Construct?

Is there any examples?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:10 am

Just recently this topic came up again. So this is the thread for you: Puzzle Help :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:43 pm

Does anybody know how to make this using Array object?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 pm

The array part wouldn't be too hard, but you kinda need to know all the rules first.
Like piece movement, do they slide, or do you pick them up, etc. Then there's the rules for deciding if something is adjacent to another.
BTW the card game object might work for this as well.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 pm

[quote="Mary Jane":3r4gqabj]Does anybody know how to make this using Array object?[/quote:3r4gqabj]

Actually I'm making use of an Array in my puzzle engine. It's just for the playfield creation, definition of playfield size and placement of new spawning blocks. It has nothing to do with the matching of 3 or more blocks (well it's used to pick rows/columns in the matching events too). I thought about doing it all with an Array, but didn't go through with it, since the approach I already had was just so easy.

[quote="newt":3r4gqabj]BTW the card game object might work for this as well.[/quote:3r4gqabj]

For real? I never thought about that possibility...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:42 pm

[quote="newt":34ua9ere]BTW the card game object might work for this as well.[/quote:34ua9ere]

I've tried it, but I can't understand how to make match-3 mechanics using this object.
Could you make a simple example for me?

[quote="PixelRebirth":34ua9ere]I thought about doing it all with an Array, but didn't go through with it, since the approach I already had was just so easy.[/quote:34ua9ere]

I dowloaded your example (here)... But I would like to make mechanics like in The Treasures Of Montezuma game (i.e. possibility to select pieces with cursor, move them from the left to the right and from the right to the left, and if there is 3 or more pieces together they must be destroyed, etc).
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:56 pm

[quote="Mary Jane":29dq4a4c]I dowloaded your example (here)... But I would like to make mechanics like in The Treasures Of Montezuma game (i.e. possibility to select pieces with cursor, move them from the left to the right and from the right to the left, and if there is 3 or more pieces together they must be destroyed, etc).[/quote:29dq4a4c]

Yes well, this is just a little editing I did for mattdubs right there. No use of an array to be found I'm sry. I don't know exactly about the Montezuma game, but from your description my Crypta engine works pretty much like that. You do select stuff with the mouse and can switch horizontally and vertically. Destroying works of course... plus spawning of new blocks. All of that. :)

Apart from the array usage, all information is there in mattdubs' thread in order to make a working matching/destroying engine. Will take a little effort to read into it and check out the various caps provided. If you really really want to see it I guess I could share a basic version of my puzzle engine.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 pm

PixelRebirth, you're very very cool!!!
I've just visited your wordpress blog and downloaded the Crypta game! It's Awesome!
Great gameplay and looks like really commercial game!

If it's possible could you explain me how did you make a such thing or may be show an example?!
I want the same mechanics like in your Crypta game!

By the way I've already made design of pieces, but how to make the game mechanics I don't know...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:55 pm

[quote="Mary Jane":rbqd8n3y]PixelRebirth, you're very very cool!!! Image
I've just visited your wordpress blog and downloaded the Crypta game! It's Awesome!
Great gameplay and looks like really commercial game![/quote:rbqd8n3y]

Too much praise there, just too much. Hehe. :)

[quote="Mary Jane":rbqd8n3y]If it's possible could you explain me how did you make a such thing or may be show an example?!
I want the same mechanics like in your Crypta game! Image[/quote:rbqd8n3y]

Of course I'd be happy to help you setting up your own puzzle game. Would you mind sharing a cap of your current progress (either openly or PM)? That would be a good starting point to do some of my "amazing" explaining. :P

[quote="Mary Jane":rbqd8n3y]By the way I've already made design of pieces, but how to make the game mechanics I don't know...
[/quote:rbqd8n3y]

Those are beautiful! That'll be a cute puzzler! :mrgreen:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:56 pm

[quote:2rz9k7m7]I've tried it, but I can't understand how to make match-3 mechanics using this object.
Could you make a simple example for me?[/quote:2rz9k7m7]

Ok never mind then. I was thinking that it might make things easier for picking. But really once you understand an array you don't need it.
Image Image
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic