MegaMan X Clone

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:04 am

PROJECT: MegaMan X Clone

PURPOSE: One stop shop video tutorial series on creating a side scrolling shooter.

TLDR: This is going to be a full blown MegaMan X clone, all for education purposes. I will be recording tutorials as I create this game piece by piece. Once the game is finished I will be uploading the videos to Youtube. I will also be making all the assets used and CAPX available for download. I know alot of people, specifically new users to Construct want to make a MegaMan X quality game. The information is out there, but it's currently fragmented into tons of forums posts, tutorials, and manuals. I plan to create a single video series that covers everything that you may want to do in a side scrolling shooter, all available in a single place, all assets, and all code ready and waiting for you.

TUTORIALS INCLUDE:

Movement
Animation
Shooting
Jumping
Run & Gun
Charging Your Shot
Wall Jump
Dash
Camera Moves
Pause Menu
Enemies of differing varieties
Boss Battles
Inventory System
Health System
Saving & Loading
XBOX Control Integration
Gameover Screens
Layout Transitions

These are a few of the things my tutorials will cover and will expand as I work.

SCREENSHOTS:

IDLE

SHOOT

JUMP SHOOT

CHARGED SHOT:

CHARGING:

Here I will be updating Screen Shots. The latest build of the game will be available below. This game is currently set up for the Xbox 360 controller and Keyboard input.

CONTROLS:

XBOX CONTROLLER: D-PAD to Move, A to Jump, X to Shoot.

KEYBOARD: Left, & Right Arrows to move, X to Shoot and Z to Jump.

GAME: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/729 ... index.html

Currently I'm hoping to get feed back on the controls. How they feel if they are to slow, clunky or don't match up to the actual MegaMan X.

UPDATES
2/14/2015: Included the charge shot system. Adjusted movement speed and jump height. Fixed buggy control code.
Last edited by VictoryX on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:23 pm

The player feels to fast compared to the original.
There's no shooting key on keyboard.

Pretty sure someone already did a Mega Man X clone, but it's on their portfolio and not completely public.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:08 pm

The game works with and Xbox 360 Controller only. It is not keyboard compatible. A few things may work with keyboard, but not everything. I'll look into slowing him down a bit see if I can't match the movement better.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 am

So due to the fact not everyone will have an Xbox 360 controller to plugin. I've now modified the controls to accept Keyboard and Xbox Controller Input. Which adds a nice bit to my Tutorials series about 'OR' blocks and supporting multiple inputs for games. So now the game should work as intended whether using a Keyboard or Xbox Controller. For a list of controls pleas see original post.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:26 am

Yer link is broke.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where this goes. I worked on a couple MMX engines in MMF2 way back when, and our current project in my signature has very similar mechanics. Definitely good learning material.

By the way, all 3 SNES MMX games have slightly varying mechanics - basically X gets a little faster for each game, so player feedback on that will vary unless you specify which one you're going for.

Also, good luck with wall sliding on moving platforms if you're using the platform behavior ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Somehow the folder got deleted T_T. Back up and working now, sorry about that.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:44 am

The feel is getting close, just a few tweaks and you'll be there.
I found the game pad just played the walk cycle animation, but the there was no movement. :(
Moving over to the keyboard, the shooting seemed to be delayed quite a bit, making it feel quite unresponsive. The speed was also slightly fast for MMX1, but it's been a while since I've played it so I might be mistaken.
Getting there! Keep it up! :D
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:58 am

Next update will probably be incorporating the medium charge shot, dash, and wall jump.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:49 pm

-Run animation is missing frames
-Jump/Fall animation is incorrect
-No landing animation
-Every animation has poor hotspot placement (you need to use same-size frames if you want to add armor layers anyway)
-Wrong charging graphic (down-scaled MMX4 charging...? C'mon!)
-Serious input delay
-Charge shot does not have the full animation nor delay before firing (supposed to stick to his arm cannon for the first couple frames)
-Can run backwards with a keyboard
-Linear sampling?!

Sorry but as an avid MMX fan and cranky old fart of a Construct dev, this needs a lot of work.

(Just trying to help..!)
Last edited by Tokinsom on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests