MEGAQUEST - Demo of Darkness

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:49 pm

greetings, mortals! I'm so proud to announce the mighty MEGAQÜEST: DEMO OF DARKNESS reached a quite commendable third place in the culturegamefest.com indie wip contest yesterday! Ha! Twas easy! I even made a short speech about the game in the fest showcase n everything. Dude it was fun :)

thirds shall be first!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Aha, you! Hi!

Man, A+ for visuals. That rugged style is just....wow. Everything is drawn with character, but the player in particular has some crazy awesome proportions. When people say retro games all look the same, this is the kind of game you shove in their face.

I also really enjoyed that background/palette swap mechanic, and the color choices are excellent. This plus the music really add to the atmosphere.

At the moment it still plays mostly like a button masher, but I'm sure there are greater things in store.

Congratulations on third place! Aching to see more!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Time's arrived! MEGAQÜEST: DEMO OF DARKNESS is online!!
(Yeah and it's been for a while, actually, I just never told u the link... which is...)

megaquest.bitballoon.com

(still no karma to post proper links, sorry)
(notice: If u used this address before, u may need to refresh!)

(edit: just uploaded to the arcade!
www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure-games/megaquest-demo-of-darkness-2392
my first arcade ever :) /edit)

This little alpha thing was premiered last friday @ culturegamefest.com (although this version I bring ye tonight's got some amphibian fish-like enemies which are absolutely unaided before). I got a lot of kind and useful feedback there. My first festival ever... other than music festivals, that's it... which may explain the beer policy I kind of instinctively applied… shit i'm still hanging...

What now? Well,
- mechanics are still somewhat clumsy. There's still a long way to tweak. I've downloaded @DrewMelton 's version of my earlier demo (cheers again man!) for inspiration and guidance.
- need to redo the music! I'm such a moron -- i made it in my laptop, with no decent speakers or headphones whatsoever. Now the bass is a bit overwhelming in some (most) themes. Well u learn.
- The overall gameflow is kinda sketched. Everything's a bit too random yet. I intend to suggest many “little stories”, mainly through interaction with npcs... but as for now they just utter some random, usually hostile sentence... There's indeed a lot of randomness everywhere that I need to limit somehow – for instance, there's these keys you get sometimes from certain enemies... and well, there's a random factor... so, sometimes you just play and play and never ever get a key... which is frustrating coz u cant open no chest... and... yeah...
- of course, as size does matter, we'll need more creeps, backgrounds, and more items, and npcs – more everything! and yeah, we definitely gonna need to get us some level bosses! Right, there's no levels as such – some area bosses then.

As for now, play, plunder, ransack, and feed me back about it!

@Nixel well thanks a lot for your kind (and utterly outlandish) feedback! Praise is always nice when it comes from talented people (n thats why I love this forum).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:17 pm

I really like the game. Wonderful work!
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:24 pm

it certainly looks the part, but as yet doesn't seem to have a clear focus, but I still enjoyed playing it.
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Message: megalocrator can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
thanks a lot guys, im glad you like it! yeah as for now its pretty pointless, everything. I'll post in the future about these and other design dilemmas i'm facing at the moment... im thinking a big sandbox with many missions, some badge system of sorts... well see!

As for now, no CEO was harmed in the making of the mighty MEGAQÜEST – meaning I didn't spent no money at all in this project. Music and graphics were made with the demo version of FLStudio (which allows you export wave files but no save your projects, which was... interesting) and graphics with an obscure pixel art program calld characterMakerPro, believed freeware. And... yesss, i'm using a free version of C2 too! I know, I know what you gonna say: “if yer serious about game making...”, “its a very affordable price anyway”... Yeah, yeah I know. I'll most likely get me a personal licence sooner than not, but as for now I'm enjoying stretching the possibilities of the 100 events, I guess (after all the whole design is pretty restrictive, I mean colors etc, thus the code restriction feels almost stylish). Remember this is my first game, and even when the price is indeed reasonable, it's still a good fistful of gold... You could say I'm checking if I am indeed “serious into game making”.

This also means that MEGAQÜEST is absolutely non-commercial at the moment, and the punk in me is alright with that.

I'm attaching the capx for Mankind to see. [edit - dunno how to do that actually. anyway, is in the arcade: www.scirra.com/arcade/adventure-games/m ... kness-2392 /edit] It combines some things that (I believe) are pretty cunning with others that (I'm conscious) are utterly silly. Needs some rework... Of course, event economy is essential, so I used no global vars (rather put em on the players sprite or somewhere), only one big clumsy eventsheet, no groups, etc. On the cunning side, i'm quite proud of what I did with them monsters (I call'm creeps) and npcs: small devices with local vars and the Dictionary object that allows me to create a theoretically infinite number of (classes of) them both without any use of events – that is, with no special rules, like poisoning or shooting, but different attributes like health, strength or speed; or different random dialogues for each npc class.
On the silly side, Im not too happy with this system of tileset + invisible platforms – it's arduous and ingrate, and collisions aint as, well, reliable as they should (specially jumpThrus). I made the map with Tiled, but dunno how collisions work there, and as far as I know C2 wont import it anyway. Any idea, anybody?

Have a look, whoever interested :)

Aw yeah, I'm using r206 cos the new splash screen is ugly as f-
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:38 pm

looks cool!
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:30 pm

@dheart88 Thank you, guitar boy with a frog for a hat!

How you mortals doing? Me Im quite busy of late with the equinox ceremonies n stuff, and have little time for the mighty MEGAQÜEST at the moment, Im afraid. In some a couple of weeks or so I hope to be back at full speed again.

So I've received a lot of succulent feedback from Demo Of Darkness; I'm happy and flattered that most people seems to like the game. Several brave individuals though pointed out some issues that will be useful in a near future (and then died screamin over the altar of Moloch). Current online version was rigged a bit in a rush due to this culturegamefest deadline, so I focused mainly in the game mechanics (aesthetics came first), neglecting somewhat deliberately several key aspects. A few things I want to update are a parallax layer, death animations, eventually several different playable characters (if it worked for them creeps and npcs, will work for the pc too) and one final (and only) boss that should serve to close the, er, game experience or whatever they call it. All these things should be hopefully included in this Demo of Darkness iteration (under 100 evs), if I can fit them in.

But what I really need is a proper gameflow here. By flow I mean several subtle things that makes a game feel coherent as a whole. It includes the conspicuous player's reward, but I think its most important aspect is the structure of the game. Lemme explain. Imagine we have a clone of supermario. No background story, no nothing. So you go through a stage, face a final boss, get some points, make it (or not) to a ranking: a little, simple yet highly effective structure. Another one: yknow this game that you're a little black doll and you run and run, all black and white, jumping over abysses and traps, and you score is the yards you reach before finding a usually gruesome death? That's another, even more simple structure, and it works like clockwork too.

Compare them now with the mighty MEGAQÜEST, where you go through a stage... and go... and go. The whole sandbox thing also raise its own issues. Pointlessness is sorta its natural state, since there's no start and no end. Size matters too, and the final map should be much bigger than the current one in order to avoid... well, claustrophobia. Even then it may well happen that you have to cross say the Graveyard for the say fifth time, which could become a bit repetitive. Or more than a bit.

So whattam gonna do about it? I'm most certainly gonna implement some level or experience system. This should hopefully help to give the player some reason to live, but there are deeper reasons. It will gimme some control over the cadence of the game, like “you need more that 999 EP to get into the Town”, “you need to reach Level 5 to open that door”. It may be useful also when it comes to monsterspawning (if you are leve 3 you meet an orc; if you are level 5 you meet a minotaur and so), npc dialogues, etc.

This get us into the narrative side. Thats gonna have to wait til next post, but basically there will be several small plotlines -- rather than one big story of vengeance and thrill and romance. In Demo of Darkness I sketch one of these plotlines, something dealing with necromancy and a mysterious plague outbreak, that I mean to develop a bit further too...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:15 am

Brave new map

New (and old) kids in town (some ideas)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:38 pm

this look really nice i hope it plays well too :D
Image keep updated on my new game: Still Human