Memory Leak on Windows Phone (universal export)

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Fri May 02, 2014 2:54 pm

We deal with a very large number of bug reports, the majority of which are user's own mistakes or unrelated issues, and not bugs in Construct 2. To prevent us spending all day deleting things from projects and trying to figure out what they've done instead of working on new features for Construct 2, we ask that before we investigate it that your report include the very strongest possible evidence that the defect is in Construct 2 itself, or in as specific a component as you can possibly identify.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 02, 2014 3:00 pm

BluePhaze wrote:Mortar Melon is a construct 2 app on windows 8

Mortar Melon is currently running on Windows Phone 8 - I haven't tried the universal app exporter yet.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 4:39 am

Ashley wrote:We deal with a very large number of bug reports, the majority of which are user's own mistakes or unrelated issues, and not bugs in Construct 2. ... strongest possible evidence that the defect is in Construct 2 itself, or in as specific a component as you can possibly identify.

I understand that. But when every one of your own tutorials is causing the problem, clearly it is not an issue with my code. And, I gave very specific steps to reproduce the issue with a very small tutorial file that came packaged with the software. It would take you (as it takes me) under 5 minutes to load the tutorial, export as universal, load it in VS2013, and see the problem.

I'm starting to regret my decision to purchase. I like your software, but this is unacceptable. I found a severe bug, and provided you with plenty of information on how to reproduce it. What exactly did I pay for if I'm going to be told I have to solve my own problems with your own code? That's not what I consider to be good customer service.
B

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 7:29 am

I did everything you mentioned and I was unable to reproduce this bug. Waited for over an hour.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 10:57 pm

Tekniko wrote:I did everything you mentioned and I was unable to reproduce this bug. Waited for over an hour.

Thanks for the test. I'd love to know more about your system... what versions of software you're running, etc. And I'd love to see a memory test to get more info (like the images I attached). You can get it by going to the menu: Debug -> Performance and Diagnostics -> and selecting Javascript memory, and start. Make sure you are on the Windows Phone version... it's not an issue with Windows.

I'd also love to get confirmation from Scirra directly if they tested and reproduced the issue.
B

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Ill run it again when I get home tonight.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 06, 2014 4:58 pm

Tekniko wrote:Ill run it again when I get home tonight.

I'd appreciate that. Thank you.
B

Post » Thu May 08, 2014 4:18 am

Knock knock... anybody home?
B

Post » Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 am

I'm going to bump this daily until I get a reply.
B

Post » Fri May 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Can't reproduce: using the Windows Phone Developer Power Tools it sits at 167-172mb usage steadily even as I watch it for several minutes. The way garbage collected languages like JS work is they gradually increase memory then free it in chunks, and I observe this in the memory use pattern: it gradually increases to ~172mb or so, then drops back down to ~168mb. The snapshot you sent me on Twitter (note: it's more useful to keep it in the bug report itself) only indicates 179mb usage, which is only a little above what I've observed. If you want to send a more useful snapshot, export again with "minify script" off, since the minify option has made the majority of the snapshot unreadable.

Closing as can't reproduce; I also think that if it reproduces on no other platforms at all, then even if there is a leak it would be in the Windows Phone 8.1 code, not in C2's code (otherwise it would show up on other platforms). If you still think there is a problem I'd recommend taking it up with Microsoft.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Closed bugs