Memory Management with CocoonJS

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Here is my 2p. I agree in the long term phonegap/cordova will be great export paths, but at present the supported iOS export options are poor for older versions of iOS7 and below. I know a supporting factor for C2 to choose phonegap as its primary method to export to iOS was based on the quick speed of users upgrading to iOS7. However, iOS8 isn't being upgraded as quickly as iOS7 -> http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/07/ios- ... are-stats/ which concerns me as a developer for my short term* iOS releases.

*short term - I am hoping at longest we will have to wait until the next round of phone releases/iOS9 update. Which is probably another year away. Which is LONG time to wait.

What should developers do in the short term?

As I see it CocoonJS works now (or it did for me) so that should be supported as much as it can without changing the core philosophy of Ludei or Scirra's development paths. This means Ludei should provide detailed setup instructions and tutorials that is supported by both Scirra and C2. For instance at present there is no way to to showing loading screens between layouts, which is a big no no in game development (Check the major console developers TRC/TCR/Lotcheck documentation). So by default it should be turned off until C2 is willing to make changes to support it, which in turn depends on if it is a change they are willing to make. In other words whatever is exported from C2 just needs to work to whichever method is supported.

Scirra also need to remember that they state on their frontpage that they support publishing to iOS. Which attracts many developers to C2, me included. If they only want to support iOS8 then this should be stated on the front page. Otherwise I believe CocoonJS should be reinstated to provide full coverage. Yes, I know you have only depreciated the export option, but it leaves the question of if left unsupported how long will it continue to work?
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Well since Scirra supports Ejecta, the under iOS 8 is actually supported for now (if it does not work, report bugs correctly to see if they will fix it), even without ejecta, C2 games still work on iOS (through the safari webbrowser, you may think it is kind of a cheap justification, but actually the direct html5 export is the only one that produce a single result that runs everywhere without needed this stupid "build for each platform individually"), so their statement on the front page is true and accurate, as for cocoonJS, they should not take them back, ludei has to talk to scirra so they can offer good support, but we should remember that scirra has no means to guarantee that canvas+ will not break once again (as this is not their job to program canvas+, remember the people that complained to scirra directly rather than to ludei for some cocoonJS bugs? No wonder they did not get fixed, even ludei could not keep track of them).

PS: the html5 exports is known to be one of the thing ludei wants to support (it currently works?), so in the mid term the cocoonJS exporter itself should not even be nessecery, and the plugin is maintained by the community, as long as there is communication, it is good.

To be fair, the phonegap, ejecta, node webkit, etc... support should not really be a part of the built-in C2, and the same goes for cocoonJS, it is just convinient to have them, but none should be contractually quoted as exporters, dropping cocoonJS is just a part of what should have been done IMO.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:57 pm

@Aphrodite To be honest I have never tried Ejecta and that's because I have only heard bad things about it. So can't really comment as I have no idea if it supports ads, iap, etc. I will have to give it ago for myself. If it is a worthy candidate then great.

I also believe that Scirra should not be responsible for bugs related to third party plugins. If bugs come up then the user should submit the bug with the third party. It's what I have done many times with CocoonjS and to date they have answered and fixed many of my issues.

However, I completely disagree about exporting apps. It is what sold C2 to me and will be why many others bought a license. Without it I would probably be using GameSalad or GameMaker.
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 pm

TheWyrm wrote:Here is my 2p. I agree in the long term phonegap/cordova will be great export paths, but at present the supported iOS export options are poor for older versions of iOS7 and below. I know a supporting factor for C2 to choose phonegap as its primary method to export to iOS was based on the quick speed of users upgrading to iOS7. However, iOS8 isn't being upgraded as quickly as iOS7 -> http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/07/ios- ... are-stats/ which concerns me as a developer for my short term* iOS releases.

*short term - I am hoping at longest we will have to wait until the next round of phone releases/iOS9 update. Which is probably another year away. Which is LONG time to wait.

What should developers do in the short term?

As I see it CocoonJS works now (or it did for me) so that should be supported as much as it can without changing the core philosophy of Ludei or Scirra's development paths. This means Ludei should provide detailed setup instructions and tutorials that is supported by both Scirra and C2. For instance at present there is no way to to showing loading screens between layouts, which is a big no no in game development (Check the major console developers TRC/TCR/Lotcheck documentation). So by default it should be turned off until C2 is willing to make changes to support it, which in turn depends on if it is a change they are willing to make. In other words whatever is exported from C2 just needs to work to whichever method is supported.

Scirra also need to remember that they state on their frontpage that they support publishing to iOS. Which attracts many developers to C2, me included. If they only want to support iOS8 then this should be stated on the front page. Otherwise I believe CocoonJS should be reinstated to provide full coverage. Yes, I know you have only depreciated the export option, but it leaves the question of if left unsupported how long will it continue to work?

completly agree with this ... and that why i don't care about ios8 and phoneagb good performance on it ... because people don't update to ios8 as quick as ios7
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:40 pm

@Ludei @ArcadEd

With the new update (r186), it is now possible add the missing features to the plugin? What will be the difference now?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 am

Hello,

We are currently working on adapting the C2 plugin to the 3.0.4 version of our JS plugins, but it is not ready yet. After adapting the plugin, we will see which features we can add.

Regards.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 am

I am currently testing our new game Wheel & Deal with the latest CJS-plugin and and r185. Solid 50-60 fps on all our target devices. Now, if Game Center works as it should we are set. Nice.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 pm

@robotecollective

You made some change in your game, or even made changes to files exported by the construct? Or simply, generated apk with the new exporter plugin and the new compiler?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:36 am

vitorfgd wrote:@robotecollective

You made some change in your game, or even made changes to files exported by the construct? Or simply, generated apk with the new exporter plugin and the new compiler?

Check your PM! This is not the best example as I said there, but if you have any specific questions I'd be glad to help.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:53 am

Game Center and Google Play Services both work fine in the latest CJS. My game, Hungry Hal, was compiled using CJS 2.1. Leader Boards and Achievements working in iOS using Game Center and Android using Play Services. The game is running great on even iPhone 4s and Samsung S3 phones. CJS works, and it works fast.
Would I like to have layout to layout loading to save on some memory, sure. But part of game design, imo, is working around problem areas. Especially in mobile.

Keep watching. Ludei seems to be working fast (much faster than they used to :P ) and I think some awesome things are coming.

@Ludei, wanna pay me to make some video tutorials for all that is CJS+C2? Or teach a live class via stream? :). Haha. Half joking ;).
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General