Method similar to Unity's SmoothDamp?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Is there a way to to something similar to Unity's SmoothDamp Method? The way it works is like this(leaving out some bits):

SmoothDamp(5,100,6)

And then it transition 5 to 100 over the course of 6 seconds. While returning the value every time it changes. So you could change opacity and such over the course of however long, smoothly. Anyone know how I can do this?

• It can probably be done using a "advanced" lerp function depending if you want a regular increase or not ... using lerp the problem is the third parameter and math is my nemesis so ... i let "expert" give you a more complete answer ! ... it can perhaps be done using a "sin" too

A very interesting post (not as mine ;-p) about this kind of effects

interpolation

thanks for this very interesting post !

Perhaps something more simple ... if you add dt to a variable every tick, it adds 1 to this variable every second so consider "x" = "targetvalue-value" must be reach in 6 seconds perhaps :

every tick :

value = value + dt * (x/6) ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • DoubleElite you have found something else ? ... my answer is good, not good ? and why ?

Sorry but people requesting for help and forgetting they have do so ... it's really something i don't like at all ...

• I tried to experiment with your idea to lerp() expression, well it didn't, maybe i did wrong, anyways i would love to see a proof...

• It depends on your interpretation of "smooth".

Lerp offers a transition similar, but its a curve so the start, and end can be slower than the middle. Ease out, ease in if you will.

Also you cant really do exactly 6 seconds, nor should you expect that in a system that goes on frame rate.

However, if that's not terribly important, you can get a close approximation using dt.

I'd suggest some experimentation with variables as triggers if you absolutely have to that kind of precession.

Just be ready for frame skips.

• Try this to have a sprite change it's x from 5 to 100 in 6 seconds after a click.

global variable start_value=5

global variable end_value=100

global variable duration=6

global variable start_time=0

+On click

--- set start_time to time

+time < start_time+duration

--- Sprite: set x to lerp(start_value, end_value, (time-start_time)/duration)

+time >= start_time+duration

+trigger once

--- Sprite: set x to end_value

• You could try taking a look at this behaviour easytween by lunarray

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)