Metroid-inspired Project

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:31 am

@regisRquoi I'd love to drop some music in, haven't found a good resource yet for some free music (even just for testing).

So what I'm trying to accomplish is boiling down the metroid formula into more of a casual kind of game. Lots of small loops, exploring and problem solving. I'll keep that in mind about enemy placement. I've played too much metroid... so sometimes I don't think about that kind of stuff.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:29 am

@mudmask
It's a bit creepy how similar our projects our!
Are you using r188? I had sound problems in preview and screen tearing issues in the final export, I didn't notice them in your game.

Also nice use of zone-based camera movement!

If you set up your crouching so that you need to hold it to crouch it'll feel a lot smoother, I didn't do crouching the way you did cause I kept forgetting to press up when I tried to move.

Also noticed that you had the exact problem I had, I solved it by taking out the animation altogether.
If you tap up fast while running you character's animations get effectively frozen in place!

PM'ed you as well about something!
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:10 pm

@nesteris - zone based camera movement was tricky! I found a way to make sure all the enemies are disabled when it's scrolling so that nothing breaks. Eventually I'm going to add crawling (similar to the morph ball in that sense), so I needed crouching to be a little more static as a transitionary state.

Thanks for finding that bug, I'll work on it!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:41 pm

@mudmask, for disabling the enemies, did you set their object time scales to zero or something else?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:57 pm

@nesteris - I have their behaviors in a larger "Enemies" group and then smaller, enemy specific subgroups, and I just disabled the group(s) as needed. The only thing that I have right now that disables the object time scale is the on screen message function.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Kevin MacLeod doesn't have much for chiptune music (if that's what you're after), but there's lots of other stuff to choose from. :)

I really like what I see so far! Coming from someone who is also working on a Metroid-like, I can really appreciate what you are doing.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 pm

@ryanrybot - Thanks so much man. Can I see your project somewhere?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 pm

hey @mudmask thank you very much for explaining how you did the the geemers.
I was working on a similar enemy type some time ago and I was also using two more sprites as you did as "detectors".
But using multiple sprites makes everything more complicated... so I will try your approach which seems to be much nicer.
I did't have time to look at your latest prototype, but i will probably at the weekend.
So thanks again and keep up the good work :).
B
S

Post » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:01 am

No problem @mudmask ! :)
I don't have anything I'm ready to publish yet, but I have a screenshot of what I'm working on...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm

@TKesse - yeah man, I've found that having booleans triggered when a detector picks up an object, and then working out the possible outcomes of the flag combinations (front is yes, bottom is no -> turn right, etc.) is more efficient than working out all the possibilities of detector combinations. you'll probably be detecting more than just a tilemap object, for example, but if all you have to do is activate a flag, it becomes more simple.

@ryanbot - that's got a real blaster-master vibe to it. did you create those graphics?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests