Metroid-inspired Project

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:12 am

@Aleyba thanks! Are you referring to preparing to blast some enemies away before they nab you? I definitely have to factor that in. I don't know how much larger levels will get in the end, since I'm aiming for a more casual audience... but they will definitely get bigger.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:53 am

mudmask wrote:@Aleyba thanks! Are you referring to preparing to blast some enemies away before they nab you? I definitely have to factor that in. I don't know how much larger levels will get in the end, since I'm aiming for a more casual audience... but they will definitely get bigger.

Not really larger, I should have used better wording.

I just think enemies should be a bit further away from the room entrances. This only happened once so it really isn't a huge issue.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 am

@Aleyba - no man, that's great feedback. Thank you.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:25 am

OK - I've added a quick build update, which primarily includes crawling, using bombs, and trap platforms (which were surprisingly more complex to make than I had anticipated)!

Also includes a simple title screen, with a name that's subject to change:
http://threesevenhosting.com/builds/11-26-2014/
(I haven't implemented crawling into touch controls quite yet - sorry guys!)

Some screens:

Thank you everyone for all the encouraging and constructive feedback. Please keep it coming.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Pretty good! Fun to play with smooth controls! I only keep getting confused because I use the same buttons for jumping and shooting, except they're inverted, so I keep jumping when I want to shoot and vice versa XD

How long have you been working on this?
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:42 pm

@Nesteris - ha that's funny, sorry it's confusing. I don't know why I chose the buttons the way I did honestly.

I started working on the engine in September, but was using some different graphics and originally had planned a different kind of game. I had these ideas for this game kicking around my head for literally years though - maybe over a decade - and I've worked and reworked the ideas off and on here and there. I'm just now in a position to devote some real time to it.

I started using a program that Scirra Construct was based on (at least in part), Multimedia Fusion, and have been doing graphics for some time. Everything I guess finally came to a head here, like I was saying.

Thanks for all the feedback and interactions, amigo.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 pm

@mudmask

It's actually pretty eerie how similar our game development and history concerning it is,
I started looking at game engines over the past 2 years, switching from Gamemaker Studio to Unity, then to Stencyl (horrible), back to Unity and then Stencyl again and then finally to Construct2, I found out about MMF about a month ago but when I tried it the UI was way too confusing and just made badly but I hear it is more powerful than Construct2.

Actual development of my game in C2 started around back in the beginning of August, but then came to a halt around October after coming back on track this month.

I actually had another guy helping me program the game in Construct2, along with a sound designer and artist but they all ended up being too busy for this (the sound designer disappeared).

Currently I'm a freelance audio/video editor but I have no work so I'm just making my game until I get some.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm also a video editor and making a metroidvania.
What is going on?! Too many coincidences.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm also a video editor and making a metroidvania.
What is going on?! Too many coincidences.

Surely you're joking, right? :shock:
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:57 pm

100% true.
Back to the thread : the title screen font is really cool.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests