Metroid-inspired Project

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:10 pm

@ryanrybot - thanks for giving it a thorough playthrough! Did the snake enemies work ok on that last level?

I'll play around with both of those aspects. I don't think crouching would be too hard to implement, I'm pretty sure I would just have to check for running in addition to standing still. Any values you would recommend for jumping?

At this point I've built a pretty versatile engine - I can implement new enemies within the range of enemy types super easily, generally with little to no new events added, just by adding them to a couple of families. A few things that need to happen from here are other aspects like actual level selection, in-game shops, power ups. I'm also working on implementing some new suits and ships. For example, right now the map has some built in radar. I'm playing around with the idea of making radar something that you would have to purchase (with ingame money), or having a ship that can restore health a couple of times if you return to it, stuff like that. But everything, like I mentioned, is really modular at this point and can be very easily modified. At some point I might need some additional graphic design muscle, though..

I'm also playing around with the idea of sequence breaking, in relation to level progression. What would that look like? I'm not totally sure but I have some ideas at this point.

Thanks again man. Looking forward to any other feedback.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Are you referring to the floating snakes, or the yapping maw ones that grab you? I'll give impressions on both. :)
The floating snakes seemed to work quite well, floating around until you get close, then flying towards you. It makes them seem very territorial which is cool. They are pretty easy to kill at a distance though. If you shot them when they are in their neutral cycle, it might be better if they were alerted and came after you.
The Yapping maw ones worked well, but were not very threatening. I found that I could run past them quite easily, either because they were slow to grab me, or didn't react fast enough to my presence. However I did fall into a pit beside one, and it grabbed me through the wall and I got stuck. One time I got stuck in the wall, and another time above it.

grabbed.jpg

I also noticed the bombs float when placed over a cliff. It would be cool to be able to drop bombs over an edge to defeat enemies. :)

floating.jpg

Sequence breaking could be cool, in the way of secret passages and such. In Super Metroid most sequence breaking has to do with abusing your abilities, but since most of them are absent in your game so far, a less linear approach to level design might work equally as well. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:19 pm

@RyanRybot - noted! That's some great input man. I'm using the pin behavior for the grabbing guys, but maybe that's not the best behavior when interacting with obstacles. It could be something as simple as setting a flag and then setting a IID of the grabber that has you. I know IIDs change, but I think that's fine.

When I finished the floating snakes, I was pretty pumped - and then I realized that they were pretty easy to kill! But they look sweet. Having them pursue when attacked is a good idea. I think I'll flag it when a player projectile is within a few pixels of the head.

Gravity behavior on bombs is a great idea too. I actually had that in mind at some point. I'm thinking of some different bomb types - like sticky bombs, remote bombs (bomber man style).

This is good stuff. You're getting some kind of special commendation somewhere at some point. :)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests