Metroidvania layout

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:49 am

Hi

I'm making a metroidvania game.
Is it possible to make 1 layout with a bunch or rooms that you can walk in between? And to make it only load the room that you're currently in?
If it is, how?

I have experimented a bit with gamemaker and construct classic, but decided to switch to C2 now. Still pretty new to this though.

I someone could help with explaining it to me I would be so grateful.

Thanks!
B

Post » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:22 pm

bump
HARMLESS SIGNATURE THAT IS VIEWED BY OTHERS AS OFFENSIVE AND CONTROVERSIAL
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Eh, not really. Metroidvanias are very complex and it takes a lot of know-how to build them in C2. The layout system is geared towards level-based games and not very practical for 'vanias, so you pretty much have to load your rooms externally.

What I did first was build a minimap in Tiled using rectangle objects & map tiles. Each object represented a .tmx with the actual room. I then added the HUD mini-map to the game which loads whichever room the cursor is highlighting after a room transition has finished, and destroys everything in the previous one. Here's that in action:

Problem with this method is it's very time-consuming to add rooms and it's easy to forget which rooms go where and so on.

Due to this I've started working on a 2-in-1 metroidvania world editor where you can build a minimap in a grid in the corner, then click a minimap room to view and edit the actual room it represents. Then I do the same as above as far as loading rooms go.

It still has a long way to go, as you can see. All I can say is learn everything you can about dictionaries, TMXImporter, Tiled, and node webkit's file system, and experiment!MadFactory2013-11-12 17:56:46
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:05 pm

nice editor! great work, i do ask myself how you will do the transitions, i guess load them in at that position, and then transition, cool, will be nice to see it all working together
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:43 pm

@MadFactory
That's amazing. I was going to make a Vania game some day. but I'll wait until your done :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:47 am

Could I ask you are you using one big layout or somehow you're teleporting the player to side of the layout on transition?
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:00 am

Wow! Thank you so much! Really helpful information and also thanks for showing me the inner workings of your game creation! I assume you didn't just have those gifs laying around, so also thank you so much for that as well.
I guess I have to get in to some pretty technical aspects early in the development, but that's better then building a heavy world map on countless layouts and then not being able to use it.
Maybe I'll post my progress when I've made some!

Thanks again!
B

Post » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 pm

hi @ChangingColor im working in a metroidvania project to, I send you a PM if your interested to work with us in the project, the project is in early phase, and we can create something interesting together. tell me if you are interested.
Carlo Andrei Mercado

Animator, illustrator, concept artist, special effects for games.

[email protected]

http://f-fman.wix.com/portfolio-ffman22

http://ffman22.deviantart.com/

tutorials:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/950/dynamic-mini-map dynamic-mini-map tutorial

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9479/p ... ing-damage falling damage platform tutorial

originally published by ffman22
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?