Microsoft are asking: who is interested in Xbox?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Are you interested in Xbox Live?

Yes
89%
Maybe
6%
No
5%

Total votes : 321

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:25 pm

I'd say maybe, only if the support is good and work out of the box for as long as it exists, as we have seen plugins getting fewer attention than others.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks to the years of video game console lock-in with certain titles like "Gears of War", and "Halo" This Microsoft customer is looking for a much better platform that is OPEN. (Cant make a windows version?!?!? Is windows not a Microsoft product?)

Microsoft has been poison to the internet with their unpatched browsers for years. They have killed industry in the united states, and the simple fact that their controllers will not work WITH THEIR OWN BROWSER, makes me want to hit the cap-locks key and yell: "HELL NO!" The way web developers had to cater to internet explorer 6 by not using .PNG, and using the .GIF format, is completely absurd. (Seriously?!?!? this is crap from CompuServe before they reformed into America Online (AOL) in the 1980's)

I look forward to our new lord and saviors for gaming on the PC: Valve and Gabn!
After they break the Direct X lock-in with Vulcan, there will be absolutely no reason to pay the "Micro$oft tax". PC vendors will be able to offer their gaming computers at a $100 discount in the USA. SteamOS needs a lot of work, but it is totally worth it to see this dinosaur, and menace to computing finally extinguished.

Burn Microsoft, burn.

Sincerly:
Guy who has been booting Microsoft garbage on his computers since the days of D.O.S. 3.5 on a floppy disk.

@ashley we need another voting option under no: "f#$%# NO!", I would much rather develop for Sony.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Ironically, Xbox One is probably one of the most "open" (as in accessible) consoles to develop for: you can get stuff up and running on it with a consumer console and free software from MS. Nobody else matches that right now.

IE6 sucked, but MS are really on form with standards compliance and active development with Edge. I think your views are about ten years behind the times!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 pm

jojoe wrote:Thanks to the years of video game console lock-in with certain titles like "Gears of War", and "Halo" This Microsoft customer is looking for a much better platform that is OPEN. (Cant make a windows version?!?!? Is windows not a Microsoft product?)

Wow, finally someone that talks more open about things like these, I usually hesitate because
I don't want to trigger certain people that cannot deal with criticism about one of their favorite products/technologies.
It's facts like these that also let me think twice about any new thing that Microsoft comes up with.
Although Ashley is right, at least they improve and try to do things better, which works out sometimes I guess.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:31 am

Criticism is fine, but getting your game in one of the 3 main consoles out there right now should be more important than leaving it out because you dislike a company.

In fact, if you follow this line of thinking why would you release your game on Windows anyway?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:19 pm

We need it
When life gives you lemons throw them at someone
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Late to the party, but getting on one of the big new consoles should be a plus for anyone. Sure, Sony has the most popular console by a wide margin right now but that could change if the Scorpio machine blows the PS4 Pro out the water.

Wii U was a nice gesture, but you were kind of left to the wolves at that point plus the system is all but dead for some time so I wouldn't expect any benefit out of it anymore.

If I knew they were going to make the Xbox One into a dev kit, I never would of sold mine. I kind of wonder if you can do the same with the Slim model?

My only other concern is that while it's great that MS wants to let more indies create games, do Xbox players actually want them? Maybe I'm speaking past tense but many Xbox One owners locally and some online seem to stray away from indie games. PC is a totally different ecosystem.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:21 pm

@GG-Works

Even if you still had your Xbox One, you could only use it to test your game. To actually deploy it to MS you need to be in the [email protected] group, but it's very simple to get into it. You just get in touch with MS and show them your game, if they approve it then you get access and then you can get a devkit, which is much much better than using a retail Xbox One in dev mode.

That being said, you still need to wait for a plugin by @ashley so you can use achievements and such, and so far no UWP games have been released on the Xbox One store (at least I'm not aware of any).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:39 am

Hi. Can someone give any tips how to enable my app for Xbox? When I export/publish as Win10 Universal and create the app package with the latest Visual Studio I still cant enable "Xbox One" in the dev center, only Win10 Desktop/Tablet and Win10 Phone. :(

Do I need to add a reference for a specific thing or what do I have to add to publish it for Xbox One?

PS: It would be nice to include things like background music in the Windows Plugin. And can any app run in docked mode or does this need extra settings and new code for the Windows plugin?
Bl4ckSh33p-Soft - Custom Software and Indie Games
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:37 pm

@ashley sorry to keep asking but is there any news on this?

Thanks again for all your work!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General