Microsoft declares WebGL 'harmful' to security

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 pm

[quote="Ashley":2xftx4zh]Not any more - it's mostly IE8. You can check browser stats at StatCounter global stats. It's changing relatively rapidly (for the industry - i.e. over a period of months) these days.[/quote:2xftx4zh]

Aw =/ (according to that, there are fewer people that use Linux than there are people that use something other than Win/Linux/OSX. O.o )

Two of the things I'd want to do once C2 is work-ready (almost there it seems like though)
would need z-elevation.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Damn it, Microsoft, don't make half-assed excuses. We know you're still trying to force everyone to do things your way. It's not working as well as it used to.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:23 pm

[quote:15zmrric]@DravenX: Are you sure the virus came through WebGL and not some other browser flaw? How are you certain it was WebGL? I've never heard of such a serious bug in WebGL - most of the security articles state the worst it can do is reboot your computer or steal a screenshot.[/quote:15zmrric]

Well i played a sonic type web browser game thing that used webgl and the next day when i tried to acces my external hd i was locked out ,I did a system check and the virus was inside my internet's temp files,The file that was infected was indeed that sonic type game.Thats what i saw on my antivirus logfile anyway.It was a .js file that was infected.

Remember a virus begin's as a small thing rebooting pc's etc.. but it evolves all the time and get's more malicious as h@ck3rs add to the code.But i don't think anything is secure as far as the internet goes.Anyone can create malicious apps these days even if it is illegal to do so.

The virus i had was called sophos.js.Or at least that file got infected somehow.It then created an exe file disguised as a recycle bin which gives the intruder full admin rights over the external HD.It was easy to remove it manually ,Every time my antivirus tried to delete the file it made another copy of itself when the pc was restarted.I had to delete it's registry entries etc... to get it off.So anything that that has javascript or webgl won't work on my pc anymore because im not taking that risk of knowing that it could harm my gfx card or cpu the next time it comes around.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:02 pm

The jebgl sounds like it might solve a few things, but C2 will probably be in the final stages before its stable.
One thing to remember is Canvas has a lot of other features such as drawing shapes, and splines so that kind of lessens the blow of no distort maps.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:53 am

so if you start making a project in HTML5, you won't be able to choose a different runtime/exporter later?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:28 pm

[quote="alspal":2k1989ni]so if you start making a project in HTML5, you won't be able to choose a different runtime/exporter later?[/quote:2k1989ni]
You will be able to change exporters with existing projects. Going from Canvas to a WebGL exporter should be totally seamless, because WebGL supports all of Canvas' features and more, but going the other way would need some work on your project.

Someone from Mozilla responded to Microsoft's remarks today:
http://shaver.off.net/diary/2011/06/17/ ... -platform/
In short, they seem to say: adding new features always exposes new components to possible attack - WebGL is nothing special, and it can be made robust against attacks over time anyway. (Also, they point out D3D support is in Silverlight so would have the same security problems in theory!)

I'm more convinced Microsoft are just reluctant to support OpenGL.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:56 pm

Some guy noted this on Sonic Retro...
[quote:1nx9ku0f]They're just taking advantage of some guy who said that WebGL wasn't sandboxed so it could be used to break out of the browser. Problem: GLSL shaders are always provided as a script*, so they're always sandboxed. I can't say the same about Direct3D (which always provided platform-independent binary shaders).

On the other hand, what is possible is trying to read what may be on screen by swapping the buffer and reading the undefined contents that were there. This doesn't work for all drivers though (sometimes you truly get garbage, and it definitely doesn't work when the buffer is in a window), and Direct3D is also affected by this (or anything using shaders, for that matter). If Microsoft comes up with WebD3D and they claim it to be secure, they're being hypocrite.

*OpenGL 4 provies binary shaders, but they have to be built on the machine they're running on, making them quite pointless... They're only useful as part of an installer, really. And this isn't even part of the WebGL spec...[/quote:1nx9ku0f]
Basically, I'm convinced that Microsoft are reluctant to support OpenGL/WebGL and want to find any possible excuse to avoid doing so. That, and they want to stop Silverlight from dying out. Seriously, who actually uses Silverlight?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:34 am

[quote="Candescence":atl2tpzz]That, and they want to stop Silverlight from dying out. Seriously, who actually uses Silverlight?[/quote:atl2tpzz]

Netflix does, unfortunately :(. And Netflix is HUGE.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:43 am

Adobe want to keep Flash alive and Microsoft want to keep Silverlight alive - they'll probably coexist with HTML5 for a couple of years (while declining) before the web catches up and makes them redundant.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 am

Just updated to Firefox 5 and the release notes say they've fixed the more obvious security issues around WebGL.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic