Million questions

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi guys!
I back to CC with full force and... of course I have million problems, but I don't wanna create milion topics for my silly question, so I will be post my "help me!" screams here. And, of course, sorry for my poor English language. Every one who hepl me will be in "credits" section in game! Wow ;-)

1. When my blue box "sprite", I mean player, touch a invisible canvas "scream1" the sound of screaming human "scream1.wav" is playing over another invisible canvas "scream1pusher":

But every time mr. blue box touch "scream1" canvas the sound was playing, even with "once" condition.

so I created something that works, but it's stupid, don't you think so?

It's working good, but I don't think is good to use solution like that, because there is probably other, better solution with events.

2. Now quite complex one. I create game for 1024x768 resolution, but many people have other monitor proportions like 16:9, 16:10. I send preview exe to two guys with 16:9 monitor and everyhing is working, but graphic was streched horizontaly, and I really don't know what to do with this. Help.

3. In one place there is huge fps drop:

censored due to brutall stuff
I know the project is very graphic "heavy" (an will be only more), but fps drop only in one place, when mr. blue box jump (1) to another place (2)?

Problem 1, 2 and 3 CAP (created with CC r1.2) - http://dropcanvas.com/8lkqj/1eku2012-08-09 14:09:45
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi,

regarding the sound trigger, I would suggest not to use a canvas object if it`s the sole purpose for it. A canvas consumes already VRAM in portion of its size. I`m also not able to tell wether there`s some buggy stuff going on with the collision detection and eventing since your condition and expression should work fine as they are.

I would replace the canvas with a tiled background as this is more flexible when you scale it and doesn`t consume VRAM.

Regarding the aspect ratio, you might want to check this thread.

Cheers
The Colonel
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Maybe you also might want to check on how you compose the level. Running your example uses up to 120 MB already which is quite heavy for a scene where there is not much going on except the background and the platforms. Try to have your platforms made up of smaller sprites if you have repeating textures. That might also counter the fps drop you are experiencing.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 pm

To trigger sounds in a specific position. Create a sprite, then add a string variable to it called soundpath with the value f.e "scream.ogg"

as you collide with the object, you autoplay appath&"Data\Sfx\"&soundpathvar at the position of the object. THat way, you can have multiple objects and give them different variables.

If you want the scream to sound like it's travelling away from the player (if i
understand you correctly?) you can lerp the position of the sound.
THere is an expression called get last autoplayed audio and it is usefull for thisUrled2012-08-09 16:18:27
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 pm

@Colonel Justice
Thanks for reply.I use a lots of canvas in the scene, like for fire sound "placement", and other stuff. I will try replace all canvas with something that don't eat VRAM. Those "places" that trigger or emmit sound is invisible so I can use something different, like tiled background. Thanks for your suggestion. And I can cut everything to small piecies (now they are 1000px width) if this will help. And I don't have repeating textures... Too much Photoshoping :/

@Urled
Sorry, but I don't understand you, I only know basic stuff of CC... and little of English language. And player is already "listener" to all of sounds (scream and fire) and thats fine, I think.eku2012-08-09 18:01:04
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Ok, I replaced all canvas with "empty" tiled background and now VRAM usage looks like this:

And, och, I forget about two layers - colors and shadows. Those to have 4 sprites of 3000px width. So, is better to have 10 sprites with 300px of width?
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Not to throw in a wrench, but I wonder though, is building for 1024x768 a good idea with most computer users having higher resolutions now (1280x720 for example)? I saw a stat somewhere that says only 13% of computer users are on 1024x768 diplays now.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:12 pm

@eku,

Awesome graphics.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Ok, I replaced 3000px width png24 with 1000px width jpg and use layer effects to have shadows and light over character (mr. blue box) and now VRAM usage is something about 90. But, I don't get it. It use 90MB of video ram from graphic card?

4. Five xaudio objects play the same file - "fire1.wav" - at different places (those fancy fireplaces). So, I must "cache" "fire1.wav" to every xaudio object or one caching is ok?

@MrMiller

Thanks. I don't have (I mean CC don't have) few layer effects that I want ("hard light" and "screen" from photoshop) so it's don't look like it should look. And about resolution - I still use 1024, so it's ok for me.eku2012-08-09 21:24:10
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:27 pm

@eku

Yeah, if you're only making the game for yourself then it shouldn't be a problem. It's just if you release it for the public to play, that's where you might run into issues...
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic