Mining Mayhem - multiplayer platformer [devlog]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:41 am

SoldjahBoy wrote:Slopes are cool but so are no slopes. If you stick with the square edges maybe make the player "auto jump" when walking if they hit a single height block so it doesn't end up being a jumpfest? They would need to jump still to clear anything higher than a single tile but it would make it "feel" like having slopes without actually having them.

~Sol

Ha - yes! This is exactly my dilemma.... I do want to avoid the jumpfest scenario, where progress is slow unless you're always bouncing. The auto-climb idea is good and has worked well for me in the past, but I think it would slow progress enough that players would just jump anyway... So - here's what it looks like with slopes:

I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:44 am

And here's an example of self-damage.... to show the difference between the explosion-circles:

I think I'm going to go for slopes.... :)
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeah slopes look slick :D

Very nice!

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Thank you @SoldjahBoy!

Post weekend update. With the help of the magic Canvas plugin, and a modified nw.js plugin by @Mad_Spy (that enables image saving from url), I have created a system where the player can upload 3 images for conversion into a game-ready tilemap. All I have to do now is transfer the event sheets from my experiment to the main project, without inadvertently deleting a variable or set of events... If all goes well, user-designed tilemaps and custom graphics are now looking promising!!

Phew!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:02 pm

User level-design progress update.

Well, creating a tilemap on the fly is not easy... (of course!). But, here's what I've managed to do so far. There are a couple of slope render artefacts that need addressing, but as a first go - I'm quite pleased with it!! It looks like I'm going to have to create a tilemap draw algorithm and draw each new map that way - I was hoping to get away with employing blend modes, but it doesn't look like it! At least I have achieved a simple draw/delete mech and a means of allowing the player to upload their own tilemap foundation images.

Now to plan some For loops....

B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:25 am

Yeeeaahhhh that's very nice!

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:04 am

Thank you @SoldjahBoy!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:06 am

Some progress has been made this week - I have managed to create a save/import system that works on both NWjs and html5. That was quite difficult!! Now for a cup of tea.... :)

B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Slow but steady progress so far this week. Forgive my placeholder graphics - but you can now edit some of the layout contents, including light effects :)

B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:30 am

This reminds me of many of my childhood favourites. Games like Minebombers, Liero, Molez and even cave flying classics like Wings, Auts and Kops (are you familiar with those?). Looks like a great fun!

I am building multiplayer platformer myself too, so would be interesting to hear what strategy you used to make Multiplayer plugin work with Platformer behavior? I ended up with a little bit simplified version of what troublesum posted here: multiplayer-amp-platform-behavior-position-syncing_p806548?#p806548
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests