MMO plugin progress

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:46 am

real time online networking for a game is unrealistic at this point with C2. there are other, more specialized tools out there for MMO creation that are better suited to this end than C2 is. having said that, MMO creation is still difficult. there is nothing wrong with setting such high goals for yourself. just realize that you probably will not succeed.
unlike you, I'm too scared to even try making an MMO

Edit: take a look at this: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/eclipse/
The latest version is called "eclipse origins." it is nowhere near the flexibility of C2, but may be a good start

Edit2: I do recall reading about a websocket plugin for c2 somewhere on forums, so if you have an immense amount of programming skill...you could actually get it done! ayzhong2011-12-24 06:54:45
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:12 am

"real time online networking" is another problem.
For turned based game, the question is, do we need to put some logic in server to prevent cheating? If yes, designer need to learn server coding.
If no, designer may use network just like chatting and make whole game in C2.

For real-time... well..rexrainbow2011-12-24 09:15:24
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:10 am

@kbdmaster you seem pretty determined, and persistent. I'm assuming by the way you worded your post that you probably don't have much php or database experience yet. Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the case you really should start by learning the basics of these first.

Here are some good sites that will teach you the basics of php, and SQL:

HTML.net

W3Schools

Once you got a good understanding here is a open source php strategy game engine you could take a look at to see whats all involved just on developing the backend:

php strategy game engine

That is the only open source engine I could find that is under active development. It has bugs though so I would recommend just using it for learning purposes.

Best of luck to you
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:21 pm

:)
thanks everyone for support
but i will definitely use construct2
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:21 pm

note:
i know eclipse
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Friendly suggestion, stay away from Visual Basic 6 engines, they are old and by far outdated and the language can teach you very bad habits. I started with Python and moved my way up "Slowly" to C++ over I think around 7 - 9 Years, I'm not a big fan of C++ but in my opinion is a must if you want to create commercial MMO's, on the other hand Python is great for creating smaller indie type ORPG's and the learning curve is no where near as difficult and time consuming as C++.

I still prefer Python and it is still my favorite language, a good place for starting in small Python game development would probably be Pygame.HRA2011-12-24 17:12:51
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:35 pm

There are not enough 's
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:22 pm

One thing one must understand, there's no easy way to make this kind of games. If that's what someone is looking for, you might want to build a time machine and travel many years into the future. But as of now, as far as easy goes, MMF2D is by far, the easiest engine for this kinda thing. I have done small MMOs tests with up to 5 people, with chat end everything. These were simple tests mind you, but by far MMF proved to be the easiest way for me, Lacewing it's pretty neat plugin. Still, as easy as it might be, a full fledged MMO it's a tremendous amount of work even using tools like C2 and MMF all by yerself, trust me.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:43 pm

If you want to make an MMO I woud wait 10 years and hopefully MMO maker will be out by then.

A good MMO would probably take at least 100 000 man hours to make.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:55 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric] Kiyoshi forgot about problem b that will return and haunt him as a bug later. That's how it happens.
^^

Also, a few days ago, I was talking with @rexrainbow on IRC and he wanted to propose a solution to make networking easier even for non programmers.
The more we researched the more obvious it seemed it was a awesomely huge problem to tackle.
This multiplayer and network programming FAQ on gamedev.net sounds like an interesting base.
It's more focused on TCP, but still, some of the first questions have some wisdom/seethrough in them.

Nevertheless, keep an eye on the custom plugins forum a solution might get posted some time.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what ?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General