Mobile / cocoonjs optimisation tricks ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:55 am

@Sisyphus

PhoneGap is not ready, but Ludei webview+ is almost ready?

so it will be perfect when webstorage issue will be fixed and we will have possibility to use native AdMob

btw.

About Android: I have just found some blog post from the end of the 2013.

"The KitKat WebView is based on Chromium 30 and it won’t be updated. That means you are stuck with it unless to get an upgrade in the future of the whole OS to next version. Even Google has announced OS delta updates without vendors’ intervention, but it seems the WebView will not get that deal yet. Therefore and based on Chrome release cycle, in one year we will have Chrome 40 and the WebView will still be in 30."

http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/android- ... me-webview
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:08 am

szymek wrote:@Silverforce on YouTube movie I see smooth movement, on Android (even when I switched to ART) I see jumpy movement. I guess that many players think that it's the way it should be (because your game has nice, old school feeling). Anyway: how do you use WKWebView? Compile game with PhoneGap?

What devices have you tested it on? I have Nexus 7 2013, Samsung S4 mobile, LG G-Pad 8.3 and a few others, its all pretty smooth after a short period of slight stutter on load.

CJS WebView+ on version 2.1+ is for iOS8's WKWebView, and its smooth as you see it in the youtube video while only using 15-20% of the iPad Mini 2's CPU.

Android's Webview is horrible so forget about it for serious games. We're stuck with Crosswalk or CJS Canvas+ for awhile yet, since Android 5 rollout is slow.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:53 am

szymek wrote:About Android: I have just found some blog post from the end of the 2013.

"The KitKat WebView is based on Chromium 30 and it won’t be updated. That means you are stuck with it unless to get an upgrade in the future of the whole OS to next version. Even Google has announced OS delta updates without vendors’ intervention, but it seems the WebView will not get that deal yet. Therefore and based on Chrome release cycle, in one year we will have Chrome 40 and the WebView will still be in 30."

http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/android- ... me-webview

Only android 5.0 and greater can get updates of webview from google play, wait for a year or 2, now there's no hope for android's webview.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 am

@Silverforce

I have tested SNE on Alcatel One Touch Flash, so octa core MTK + 1 GB RAM [ http://images.droidsans.com/sites/defau ... lash_o.jpg ]. And now I was playing for 4-5 minutes and it was still hmm... I guess 60 fps but jumpy spaceships movement, jumpy planets rotation etc. Anyway it's good to know that at least iOS runs very good. So nevermind. Just FYI

@Sisyphus

so now I'm waiting for fixed Crosswalk and/or native AdMob in CocoonJS Canvas+.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:21 pm

@Silverforce

I just bought Star Nomad on iOS. Cool game, nice work! But still.. there is a micro-pauses. It's not a FPS failure - FPS is fine. If you look closely you'll find these small pauses. The gameplay is not smooth :( For me, it does matter. This little thing can separates bad game from good game.
B

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:00 pm

Alatok wrote:
@Silverforce

I just bought Star Nomad on iOS. Cool game, nice work! But still.. there is a micro-pauses. It's not a FPS failure - FPS is fine. If you look closely you'll find these small pauses. The gameplay is not smooth :( For me, it does matter. This little thing can separates bad game from good game.

Thanks! I run it on an iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6 Plus, there's a slight pause when you bring up the star map or access menus the first time in-system (due to very aggressive garbage collector on layout changes), but in flight & combat is very smooth. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to micro-stutters. :oops:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks! I run it on an iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6 Plus, there's a slight pause when you bring up the star map or access menus the first time in-system (due to very aggressive garbage collector on layout changes), but in flight & combat is very smooth. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to micro-stutters. :oops:

I run it on iPhone 6.

I'm very interested what @Ashley says about this. I would like to buy C2 business license, but this small anomaly is on my way... So, Scirra can't do anything about the micro-pauses..?
B

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:14 pm

This thread was originally from early 2013 and things could have changed significantly since then. Please post a .capx demonstrating the issue so I can take a look.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Ashley wrote:This thread was originally from early 2013 and things could have changed significantly since then. Please post a .capx demonstrating the issue so I can take a look.

Thanks Ashley for your response. You can take a look if you own an iPhone or iPad. Download from App Store any game that has been made 2013-2014 with C2. Play it for a moment, observing the screen. All moving objects stuttering a little bit. I don't know there are the same problem on Android, but it exists on iOS. I have looked at this a long time, tried a different iOS games in 2014.

However, I think C2 is a very good tool. I would like to buy a license for business, but I do not do it before I know that Scirra know about this problem, and try to fix it. All the best and keep up the good work!

EDIT:
For example: Bee Active, Hungry Hal, Star Nomad, Swing Parachute, Flappy Family, e.t.c.
These I remembered first. Looks good, but when you look more closely ...
B

Post » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Ashley wrote:This thread was originally from early 2013 and things could have changed significantly since then. Please post a .capx demonstrating the issue so I can take a look.

It has gotten better, particularly now with a fully functional Android wrapper with plugins for monetization (XDK).. but the lacking in smoothness is still a problem, more obvious on Android and CJS Canvas+. WKWebView for iOS8 is much better but as @Alatok noticed, there's still micro-stutters.

TBH I'm happy with both iOS and Android options but it could be better, particularly Android. This Chromium jitter bug will be around for awhile for Crosswalk since they are a build behind. :/

@Alatok I think you can be confident in your purchase of C2 if you want to develop for mobiles, particularly for iOS. I have a long thread for SNE on Touch Arcade, and lots of players praise how well/smooth combat feels, no player has mentioned the micro-stutter as yet, but they do mention the major flaw of CJS's implementation of WKWebView: If the iOS device runs out of storage, you will lose your save-game due to the auto-clean clearing "temporary" files to free up storage. I put a warning in the app description, so far players have been ok knowing that.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General