Mobile games performance, let's be honest

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • By checking one and the same game using cocoonJS I am not comforted like a performance dropped from 30 fps to 5 fps. I do not know where the problem lies, or on the side of SCIRRA;s or ludei but as a consumer, I think the high time to put everything on the performance in next relases

• I guess there is already new CocoonJS (with new Ludei logo) and in my case everything works fine, even with many moving objects + particles, tested on low-end dualcore CPU (~9000 in Antutu)

• Can you give us a link for your game? I have not performance problems unless i use very old mobiles.

• delgado

Your code is the most likely culprit.

I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.

• So this 10% on code really isn´t true on mobile, isn´t it?

• jayderyu

You give some good tips, but C2 is designed for none coders...

I assume you are from a coding background, and sure someone with good knowledge of programming maybe able to throw the odd little trick of the trade in to speed up certain tasks...

but if you need to know these, to be able to make a playable game, then something is wrong, and may I bring your attention to this blog entry...

https://www.scirra.com/blog/83/optimisa ... -your-time

Does this not apply anymore?

• well, even though there should´t be much programming required, at least game making is a very, very complex topic. You just can´t handle certain things without getting in detail. (like tiling of a background for example. you just have to do it even you can put 12000x12000 pictures into C2)

Everyone who wants to make a good game and is really interested in making a game that can compete with others, is in need to get himself deeper and deeper into the topic.

C2 in his main functionalities is just the entry-gate I think.

• delgado

Your code is the most likely culprit.

I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.

I was surprised after reading this, I tested this in one of my games that have little slowdowns when i have a lot of objects in screen (140-160 objects), and 80% of the code is in functions, in another evensheet. I tried to move all the functions to the "game" evensheet, I removed the "Functions" evensheet and i have exactly the same performance.

• > delgado

> Your code is the most likely culprit.

>

> I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

>

> Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

>

> As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.

>

I was surprised after reading this, I tested this in one of my games that have little slowdowns in my tablet when i have a lot of objects in screen (140-160 objects), and 80% of the code is in functions, in another evensheet. I tried to move all the functions to the "game" evensheet, I removed the "Functions" evensheet and i have exactly the same performance.

• >

> > delgado

> > Your code is the most likely culprit.

> >

> > I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

> >

> > Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

> >

> > As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.

> >

>

> I was surprised after reading this, I tested this in one of my games that have little slowdowns in my tablet when i have a lot of objects in screen (140-160 objects), and 80% of the code is in functions, in another evensheet. I tried to move all the functions to the "game" evensheet, I removed the "Functions" evensheet and i have exactly the same performance.

>

Why wouldn't it be the same? You haven't changed anything. Stopping the offending bit of events is what he was getting at.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Beaverlicious I find your reply a bit patronizing to be honest, I am not speaking of Me Myself and I, I am speaking in general, should C2 not be the same speed in a straight line for everybody? I see no mention of sheet roots in the manual...

• Well, I'm also not representing the whole humanity, but I see it like an art. Just because you give to people a brush and Tell them how to use it, doesn't make a great artwork. It's about how much effort you put in Details techniques and stuff..... And talent of course:-D

• On iOS, cocoonjs' JavaScript performance, last I checked, was less than safari's. I hope they can improve it, but apple doesn't allow as many technologies on iOS (which is why chrome and Firefox aren't really on iOS - Firefox is a no show and chrome is just a reskin of the web view).

C2 may make game dev easier, but it is inherently a complex subject, and learning how to optimize for mobile is something you shouldn't expect to not have to learn. C2 cannot know when you're trying to do something in code that a target device can't handle. Are you targeting powerful or low-end devices? Or both? There's no way for C2 to know.

• jayderyu can you give me link to your post?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)