Mobile games performance, let's be honest

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 pm

By checking one and the same game using cocoonJS I am not comforted like a performance dropped from 30 fps to 5 fps. I do not know where the problem lies, or on the side of SCIRRA;s or ludei but as a consumer, I think the high time to put everything on the performance in next relases
B
109
S
26
G
46
Posts: 1,886
Reputation: 35,168

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

I guess there is already new CocoonJS (with new Ludei logo) and in my case everything works fine, even with many moving objects + particles, tested on low-end dualcore CPU (~9000 in Antutu)
B
18
S
7
G
1
Posts: 783
Reputation: 4,237

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Can you give us a link for your game? I have not performance problems unless i use very old mobiles.
B
32
S
7
G
2
Posts: 164
Reputation: 3,774

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:08 pm

@delgado
Your code is the most likely culprit.

I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.
B
90
S
18
G
9
Posts: 2,455
Reputation: 15,018

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:27 pm

So this 10% on code really isn´t true on mobile, isn´t it?
B
44
S
11
G
11
Posts: 1,154
Reputation: 9,978

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 pm

@jayderyu

You give some good tips, but C2 is designed for none coders...

I assume you are from a coding background, and sure someone with good knowledge of programming maybe able to throw the odd little trick of the trade in to speed up certain tasks...

but if you need to know these, to be able to make a playable game, then something is wrong, and may I bring your attention to this blog entry...

https://www.scirra.com/blog/83/optimisa ... -your-time

Does this not apply anymore?
B
42
S
15
G
11
Posts: 655
Reputation: 12,260

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:04 pm

@pixelperfick

well, even though there should´t be much programming required, at least game making is a very, very complex topic. You just can´t handle certain things without getting in detail. (like tiling of a background for example. you just have to do it even you can put 12000x12000 pictures into C2)

Everyone who wants to make a good game and is really interested in making a game that can compete with others, is in need to get himself deeper and deeper into the topic.

C2 in his main functionalities is just the entry-gate I think.
B
44
S
11
G
11
Posts: 1,154
Reputation: 9,978

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:48 pm

jayderyu wrote:@delgado
Your code is the most likely culprit.

I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.


I was surprised after reading this, I tested this in one of my games that have little slowdowns when i have a lot of objects in screen (140-160 objects), and 80% of the code is in functions, in another evensheet. I tried to move all the functions to the "game" evensheet, I removed the "Functions" evensheet and i have exactly the same performance.
B
32
S
7
G
2
Posts: 164
Reputation: 3,774

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:49 pm

ByR wrote:
jayderyu wrote:@delgado
Your code is the most likely culprit.

I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.


I was surprised after reading this, I tested this in one of my games that have little slowdowns in my tablet when i have a lot of objects in screen (140-160 objects), and 80% of the code is in functions, in another evensheet. I tried to move all the functions to the "game" evensheet, I removed the "Functions" evensheet and i have exactly the same performance.
B
32
S
7
G
2
Posts: 164
Reputation: 3,774

Post » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:53 pm

ByR wrote:
ByR wrote:
jayderyu wrote:@delgado
Your code is the most likely culprit.

I made a post(not a thread) about this a few days ago. Where I went over that C2 and CJS are fine at rendering. The problem was in my code. C2 doesn't optimize code and more especially it doesn't optimize Sheet ROOT events. The more root events you have occuring per tick the more your game will slow down. You will especially notice with older devices.

Also what surprised me was that even just having a GROUP or an included EVENT SHEET will impact performance there code calling also seems to slow down performance.

As a test set up the most complex scene in your game. Then detach your EventSheet from the layout. I bet anything your performance will jump to 55+ as long as you keep to mobile gfx standards.


I was surprised after reading this, I tested this in one of my games that have little slowdowns in my tablet when i have a lot of objects in screen (140-160 objects), and 80% of the code is in functions, in another evensheet. I tried to move all the functions to the "game" evensheet, I removed the "Functions" evensheet and i have exactly the same performance.


Why wouldn't it be the same? You haven't changed anything. Stopping the offending bit of events is what he was getting at.
B
169
S
50
G
169
Posts: 8,284
Reputation: 108,212

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lof, mihirolover and 5 guests