Mobile pain ! , Why is scirra ignoring ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Publish games to mobile platform like iOS , Android & Windows is still a big pain because not many essential features listed below are not supported which really makes your game inferior to other and doesn't have a chance to hit or even to set a level field in very crowded competitive market.

Features like ,
            Social integration support (facebook, twitter) - make ur game go viral and drive organic traffic
            GameCenter / Open Feint leaderboard/achievements - This has become very vital for gamers to keep playing ur game.
             In-app purchases - the only hope u can make money out of games in a non-invasive way nowadays except Ads which is very invasive.

Currently there is only one platform, CocoonJS which i can trust some how to get the games ported. Even though they provide lot of the above features ,

Scirra hasn't implemented much of them in the CocoonJS plugin, while the CocoonJS platform has exposed most based on their demo programs,
Even some of them implemented doesn't seem to work nor there is no documentation for how to setup or make it work like the in-app purchases and any question asked about it doesn't seem to get a proper reply or mostly ignored.

I feel Scirra's focus is expanding to other platforms in recent releases rather than focusing on a single popular platform like mobile and provide it with a complete set of minimum features for the platform to be competitive compared to other platforms.

I hope they understand the need and address the concerns and hoping others also have the same feeling and can vouch for it.

I know few people develop games as an hobby and i also believe that there are others who like to make some money as part of their hobby given amount of quality time they spent on developing the games.

B
S

Post » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:50 pm

until we get an opensource platform like something like a node webkit for mobile, bring dependent on commercial 3rd party systems is not the ideal.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Scirra has One (1) (I) programmer making the entire Construct 2. The best you can do is wait patiently or encourage your friends to buy the software so that Ashley can afford to hire more programmers.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 pm

This is just seems to be an excuse i keep hearing again and again , serious developers will simply move to different tool/platform if nothing is done about it.
B
S

Post » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 pm

[QUOTE]
I feel Scirra's focus is expanding to other platforms in recent releases rather than focusing on a single popular platform like mobile and provide it with a complete set of minimum features for the platform to be competitive compared to other platforms."
[/QUOTE]

I am very excited that this tool is not continually being developed only for mobile.

While I respect your desire for mobile development, personally I have little to no interest in it.

Anyhow, recently construct has made its way on steam and I am sure that with the heavy development schedule that Ashley has along with maintaining and working with steam the future seems even brighter for construct. The list of things to do is huge and things are getting worked on and completed as they can be. Having one programmer working on a project like this is not an excuse, its a reality.

I am interested in hearing what magical tool/platform serious developers will move to without going to straight coding, which we already have the option for with the javascript development kit.
B
S

Post » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 pm

@Twinsonian Little Big Adventure!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:06 am

We're limited by the third party wrappers we use (CocoonJS & directCanvas). Neither currently supports Game Center, although I think Ludei have plans for it. But the ball's in their court. The same goes for ads and IAP. We have implemented CocoonJS's IAP functions, but I'm not sure they've totally finished it, because it's not clear from their site how to use it. @Ludei - can you comment? Other features like the Facebook object are tricky to implement because they use a different API to the one used in browsers, which means we have to rewrite the whole object.

Where we have the ability to develop solutions entirely ourselves, we've got better options - like on Windows 8, which integrates IAP pretty well AFAIK. So we're aware it's important, but it's not always possible for us to solve it completely by ourselves.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 am

It's really up to Ludei, sometimes they are too late to answer our questions.

We are still unaware how they would introduce full support and release pricing in end of Q1. I was hoping they should give 100% support like desktop web browser do.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 am

Look at this topic http://www.scirra.com/forum/topic61973.html Here below is the Ludei's reply,

"Construct guys are doing a great job integrating our extensions in their platform. You will have to wait until wither them or someone else creates a plugin. In the next version of CocoonJS we will be adding improved APIs for social and social gaming extensions with support for Twitter, Facebook and Game Center.

Another option you have is to integrate them yourself in the exported js file but I think this could be REALLY complicated."

Looks like we are going in circles , seems like Ludei is asking us to wait for Scirra to implement and now Scirra is pointing back to them , I think Ashley and Ludei needs to get together and provide a better clarification on this for atleast the implemented object action like In-App Purchases related ?

I would think if the Ludei demos are working , i would expect the same to be implemented via CocoonJS Objects in C2 like other functions like "Rate the game", "Facebook", "WebView" which are really crucial. Isn't that it's just matter of calling the Ludei exposed functions with the corresponding events in C2 ? This is where the disconnect are where we are all wondering when the demos are working , why not work through C2 ?
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:01 am

Ludei said "In the next version of CocoonJS we will be adding improved APIs for social and social gaming extensions with support for Twitter, Facebook and Game Center."

I guess Scirra is waiting for this before to update API
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General