mobile support...or tablet...etc

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:54 pm

X3M wrote:
helena wrote:I can see events being done on a phone. Looking through, fixing bugs.
But otherwise I think it is just a "bonus" feature really.

but now I can't do it anyway because of iOS-ness.

What about this : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google- ... mpt=uo%3D2


Unfortunately that's not really Chrome - it's Safari with a Google paint job.

Any web browser on iOS uses Safari's rendering engine.
B
64
S
25
G
10
Posts: 654
Reputation: 10,842

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:02 pm

Elliott wrote:
X3M wrote:
helena wrote:I can see events being done on a phone. Looking through, fixing bugs.
But otherwise I think it is just a "bonus" feature really.

but now I can't do it anyway because of iOS-ness.

What about this : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google- ... mpt=uo%3D2


Unfortunately that's not really Chrome - it's Safari with a Google paint job.

Any web browser on iOS uses Safari's rendering engine.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opera-m ... 29560?mt=8
Opera uses Chrome's Blink engine, I prefer it over Chrome for so many reasons, I guess it should be functioning well on iOS according to the reviews.
Banned User
B
17
S
7
G
24
Posts: 388
Reputation: 14,494

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:29 pm

mobile support would be awesome, if implemented properly.

I have no plans on C3, just came here to say there are some that would use (and currently use) mobile support to check on their games, make changes, etc.
B
46
S
20
G
9
Posts: 545
Reputation: 9,315

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:01 pm

I for one is very interested in development on a mobile device.

You say how can construct 3 run on mobile and not implode on itself after 20 events. You should probably give mobile devices more credit then this.

Just remember the games you are designing can be exported to mobile. That statement is almost like saying, don't bother designing a mobile game if you are using a PC to designing a 20+ event game.

I'd also like to point out that you can definitely connect a mouse and keyboard to a tablet as well a phone simply by using a OTG cable or Bluetooth! There are also devices like the "Superbook" which will make you mobile device run much like a chrome book or laptop using just your phone/tablet.

Also note that while a device maybe 6", a lot of these devices also run at 1080p resolution or even 2k res.

Plus the layout for mobile seems very sleek and by no means is anything hard to read. Add your mouse and keyboard and you got a nice setup to develop on the go.
B
3
Posts: 1
Reputation: 182

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Unless they did some major change, no the browsers are all Safari but branded with other brands. So, Chrome, Opera, Firefox etc, are all Safari but with the "looks" of the other browsers.
B
58
S
18
G
13
Posts: 447
Reputation: 10,740

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:32 pm

helena wrote:Unless they did some major change, no the browsers are all Safari but branded with other brands. So, Chrome, Opera, Firefox etc, are all Safari but with the "looks" of the other browsers.

Correct, they're all locked into Apple's iOS WKWebview engine due to Apple's stranglehold on their OS.

With iOS being 12% of the marketshare and declining it's not really a viable platform to specifically target for HTML5 dev unless you have a wrapper that works and you really want to release for iOS. The company I currently work for has an iOS app and it's constantly updating the web app to become more and more feature comparable so they can finally advertise people using android tablets for the major work rather than relying on iOS. (Currently they're still significantly behind on that due to corporate directions, but eventually the web-app will have the same features and the iOS app can be discontinued in the future.)

Apple would have to spend time once again to improve their webkit engine, or allow other engines to run without wrappers.
The only real reason to dev for Apple in the past was the user-base, now... not so much. While 12% is not insignificant, it's not something your game will die without.
B
21
S
8
G
6
Posts: 346
Reputation: 4,891

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Just google what features we need in all the browsers.
You'll get an idea of what platforms are next.

Or just think of what we can export to now with all the features needed for a game.

Some features may never be implemented by Safari, but that doesn't mean there aren't ways around them.
Image ImageImage
B
172
S
50
G
183
Posts: 8,443
Reputation: 115,605

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:56 pm

WKWebView isn't too bad. At least Chrome and Opera are better browsers overall. Safari itself is a terrible browser and doesn't even do the same things as well as either of those on iOS. I keep having to have customers use Chrome or Firefox on their iPads if they're having issues with Safari only because how the engine itself is handled.

The only way around WKWebView's restrictions is to make a wrapped application, or wait for Apple to update it once again to include new web technologies.
B
21
S
8
G
6
Posts: 346
Reputation: 4,891

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:41 pm

I think @Ribis what is trying to say, is why scirra gave more priority to features that not everyone will use at list very often, because the heavy job for development of your projects will most of the time done on PC, laptops.
so why not give priority to the most crucial futures that every single one needs like Easy exporters to mobile and more stability in mobiles.
This is the frustration that most of the C2 users are facing right now, that's why you see everyone is going nuts on the forum.

Most of the developers were waiting for C3 for a long time, to see if they will address this problem first. that's why you see the opposite reaction from C2 users, instead to been celebrating the C3 news they are disappointing and I agree.

The development on phone, tablets is really cool feature to have and will be handy some times, but what's the point if you can't start to develop a game for mobile because of the trouble you go thru to release it on mobiles. why not spend that time concentrating on the most important mobile export and stability.

The way I see it is like this:
-should a start a game for mobile? not is to much trouble yet, especially for none experienced programers.
-Then now comes the question, is it worth the feature to develop on tablets, phones, etc. for me...?
no yet because I didn't and I can't start any project for mobiles because is so much trouble still to release them on mobiles platforms. do you see were I'm going? so if there is no game to work in, doesn't matter how many cool features the software will have, will be not benefiting in any way until the bigger problem is address it.
B
41
S
25
G
87
Posts: 309
Reputation: 48,096

Post » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Well with the Phone/Tablet use of the program it's not really much of a focus as it's a consequence of using the HTML5 technology for the basis of the editor's itself. It just goes to show you how flexible web technology is at this point.

I doubt they spent more time on making sure it works flawlessly on those niche environments VS the rest of the features they have yet to reveal. So far the only real major reveals they had this week were
1) Sub model
2) **Big News** It's all HTML5 (So it works on every desktop OS) and works great!
3) It also works on mobile HTML5 too.

Now in order for it to be 100% usable they'll have to tweak a few things here and there, but these optimizations will probably enhance desktop use as well (since mobile devices are less powerful). The touch interface these devices needs wouldn't just be a mobile focus and would use what they developed for Win10 touch since that's an actual desktop environment with great touch support (which they already support with their own plugins that we already use for games we make)

One of the most major things is hidden in #3 where it shows off some upcoming Chrome features that will make making web-apps for Android less of a hassle.


The features they prioritized to spent more time on (other than making it all HTML5) will be announced in the following weeks
B
21
S
8
G
6
Posts: 346
Reputation: 4,891

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ijitad and 0 guests