more control over sound import quality

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:36 am

@Ashley You are right with the IE and Opera. But on the other hand even in a non sound rich game is possible that 50% of the final size is the audio.

My own example is a simple Memory game, what's full size is 2,582Mb, and the audio in it is 1,432Mb. I used only ogg, cause of the Chrome Webstore publish. But it's 55% of the size!

I dont want to push to give this feature a No1. priority, but just keep in your list, keep your eyes open if a solution is accessable...

B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:37 am

[QUOTE=Ashley] @Knifegrinder is right, usually if you encode a mono wav file it will come out half as big as a stereo file anyway, even if the output file is stereo, because the sound data on both channels is the same. So downmixing to mono before importing to C2 should work fine.[/QUOTE]

how? 96 kbps is still 96kbps, mono file is not shorter in half. so mono file is same size, just twice as good in quality. hence 96kbps stereo is actually 48kbps per channel, mono is 96 kbps per channel, but still 8 second file encoded with 96kbps quality should weigh 96KB despite being mono right?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:09 pm

ranma - well, I mean if you have a stereo track and encode it both before and after downmixing to mono. Most codecs encode stereo as M+S (mid and side) rather than L+R, so in a stereo track with identical L+R channels the side channel is zero and should compress to nothing. Most encoders also use variable bit rate (VBR) so choosing '96 kbps' does not mean it will definitely generate that much data per second, it's just an approximation, and it will be less if the audio is easy to encode. (For example silence won't generate 96kbps of data in a VBR encoder, that would be wasteful). A stereo sound would have to add a lot of data to the S channel, making the file up to twice as large (but usually not that much actually).

The Ogg Vorbis files tend to be very small and good quality, whereas the AAC files are a little bit bigger and sound a bit worse. It's not a major difference, only IE+Safari users get those files, and I doubt many casual gamers would actually notice, so I don't think there's any need to change the way we do it. Again, if you want tight control over how your audio files are compressed, mix and encode them before importing to Construct 2 - if you import .ogg and .m4a files, C2 just copies them in to the project without touching them. It will only encode for you if you import .wav or .flac.Ashley2012-07-05 12:10:26
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:01 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley]if you import .ogg and .m4a files, C2 just copies them in to the project without touching them.[/QUOTE]

8-O

didn't know that, that's actually grat news and negates my first request :) thanks!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General