Most important documentation?

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:15 pm

What do you think are the most important things that need to be added to the Learn area? More tutorials, object docs, references for system object, explanations of effects, UI guides etc.? I can't write it all at once, so where do you think I should start?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:40 pm

the learn area should consist of tutorials that will teach new developers how accomplish certain tasks like creating a basic cpm, rpg engine, etc

anything else should be in a manual of sorts
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:21 pm

I think that function object and effects are the ones needing most explanations, tutorials and tips and tricks.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:57 am

I absolutely think that a help file for the program with explanations of what every single thing does is the highest priority! Now you have to experiment with everything in order to know what it does, and sometimes it takes a veery long time to figure out even a simple thing.

You could also ask here on the forums, but i don't think questions like "What does 'linear damping' mean?" would be apprechiated if they started to show up too often.

Btw. What does 'linear damping' mean? I'm serious. :oops:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:30 am

If you know about such equation as:
mx'' + cx' + kx = F

Then damping is c :).

When something flies, it loses its speed because of flying in air. Let's say "linear damping" is a force with which air reacts on flying object. It is theoretically proportional to object's speed.

There are so many interesting things to talk about in 'learn' section that is hard to choose. Actually I think those would be very helpful:
:arrow: how does the quantity of for example speed or acceleration influence on object's real speed measured in pixels per second? (you know what I'm thinking about?)
:arrow: how does "effects" work (some images showing for example two shapes overlapping each other and one of them or both were given a special effect from the list)
:arrow: simple .cap that'll show usage of every movement and how to adjust parameters to get interesting effect (for example using bullet movement for bullets but also for walking enemies as well)
:arrow: articles showing some practical aspects when making any game... like: "how to store variables like score, ammo etc."

Well, there could be more articles in 'learning' about:
:arrow: how to make your own animation system
:arrow: how to avoid bugs ;)
But sure they'll be obsolete too fast too even care about making some :).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 am

Linear damping is how much the object decelerates as it moves. If you push an object, with no linear damping it would simply continue moving at the same speed forever, like in space - being a vacuum, there's nothing to stop it. The higher the linear damping, the faster the object comes to a stop. On Earth air stops an object from moving forever, so damping is a good way to simulate this.

I can add that the values of speed *are* in units of pixels per second, and acceleration/deceleration are in units of pixels per second per second.

Anyways there's a lot to do, if any of you guys feel like having a shot at anything for the Learn area, I'd welcome it!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:30 am

Where to start with documentation?

IMHO, the most intelligent thing to do right now would be concentrating efforts on basic tutorials, since there are out of there plenty of potential Construct users that only waits to getting started with the program in the easiest way it's possible. So that the user base grows, and the word-by-mouth boosts.

Have you ever seen the tutorial games of TGF? Something like that would be perfect (manual - sample files).

Take a look at the manual from page 16: it shows, step by step, how to create a very simple game from zero, and in the meantime it explains the basics of the program every time you meet something new (an editor an object, ecc..). Just take a look to the first 4 tutorial games (fifth is useless), you'll understand clearly what I mean.

For my personal experience, step by step tutorials are a VERY concrete and effective way to learn such a tool from zero. Ages ago I learned quickly the basics of TGF while having no programming skills. Didn't need anything else.. I looked at the rest of the manual something like a couple of times in 5 years, afterwards.

Maybe today that we have broadband connections, in the form of video tutorials, if properly made, they could result even more immediate.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Here's my vote.

[quote="Attan":1lwln59c]I absolutely think that a help file for the program with explanations of what every single thing does is the highest priority![/quote:1lwln59c]

I've watched and am watching a number of projects develop. A word of advice.

Currently, everything so far is clear and well thought out. What's missing from getting big time interest is a camera mounted or chasing an object for that First Person view. When that's added, the newbies will burst through the door.

I would recommend you have all your ducks in a row and all your docs up to that point done before you take that step. A multitude of noob posts can be very distracting and you can easily loose your aim and focus.
B
G

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:24 pm

[quote="y offs et":2vtsadab]
Currently, everything so far is clear and well thought out. What's missing from getting big time interest is a camera mounted or chasing an object for that First Person view. [/quote:2vtsadab]

Sprite properties
-groups
-atributes
[x]center wiew on me!
Or was that some kind of metaphor?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 am

You know, like a 3D First Person Shooter demo.

Edit - ??? Perhaps I'm thinking a little too far ahead?
B
G

Next

Return to Your tutorials & example files