Most likely impossible... so maybe a possible future feature

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:37 am

I would like to load a layout\event sheet (just a layout I think would be safer....) that's outside of my project.... for example, for DLC. Is this at all possible? Even through a plugin? Essentially, I would like my customers to be able to download the game... and then as new levels are created, etc etc, people can download small 'patches' or DLC, and it'll read them and load them up as if they were inside the project. I know this is not difficult to do in HTML5... but perhaps this would require a huge undertaking for Construct2 to have as a built in feature.

Anyone?
B
47
S
15
G
3
Posts: 201
Reputation: 4,625

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:13 am

I don't see the need. Surely level creation could more easily be handled by importing , for instance, a new json string that contains the layouts for new levels, then just create the levels on the fly based on the new data.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
Moderator
B
134
S
30
G
86
Posts: 5,419
Reputation: 59,524

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:16 pm

zenox98 wrote:I don't see the need. Surely level creation could more easily be handled by importing , for instance, a new json string that contains the layouts for new levels, then just create the levels on the fly based on the new data.


Granted, not as simple as it would be to have a level you can build by dragging and dropping in the C2 interface... then copy the XML data, and use that as a load level function. The way you're suggesting would require doing everything manually in text format, as well as building a level creation parser, the ease of which strays away from the "Drag and Drop" attractiveness of Construct2.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the complexity of how some levels can get.... parallax... 20-30 layers... multiple items with different instances..... not something easy to do with what we currently have available.
B
47
S
15
G
3
Posts: 201
Reputation: 4,625

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:55 pm

You could just have new content as a separate project altogether than just link to it via HTTP.
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
I don't check the forums much anymore, but I will receive an email for PMs.

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
22
S
6
G
1
Posts: 1,418
Reputation: 4,830

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Would it even be useful to load layout XML files from Construct 2? Then everyone who wants to design levels for your game will (probably) need a C2 license, and you have to share a significant part of the source project in a ready-to-use form...
Scirra Founder
B
398
S
236
G
88
Posts: 24,428
Reputation: 194,625

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:05 pm

gumshoe2029 wrote:You could just have new content as a separate project altogether than just link to it via HTTP.


Then it would require you to re-load an entire project... and they wouldn't be able to go back and forth easily... just not very efficient I'd assume.


Ashley wrote:Would it even be useful to load layout XML files from Construct 2? Then everyone who wants to design levels for your game will (probably) need a C2 license, and you have to share a significant part of the source project in a ready-to-use form...



More money for you guys, no? :) In the end, if you're only giving it to people you want to create levels for you.... say if you have a team of level builders for example, then sharing the code shouldn't be a problem anyways... if you even had to. The main reason is for downloadable content, not having to re-download the entire game... just level data. At that point, you already own the source project, and shouldn't be a problem... not to mention, it would be a lot easier for people to implement, than an entire level editor\loader parser. Point to a URL\Filename of the XML data, load it - and treat it like a loaded Layout.
B
47
S
15
G
3
Posts: 201
Reputation: 4,625

Post » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:29 am

dunno if this is what you looking for but mabey build the game with all the dlc in the game but only accessible through code input.
so players that buy the code can gain access to the code thats already written in the game. then any time you come up with a new map just write it into original code then change ver number then make new access code.
B
7
S
1
Posts: 20
Reputation: 450

Post » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:06 am

bartsimpsonredux wrote:dunno if this is what you looking for but mabey build the game with all the dlc in the game but only accessible through code input.
so players that buy the code can gain access to the code thats already written in the game. then any time you come up with a new map just write it into original code then change ver number then make new access code.


Although that is doable, there are lots of different ways to get around not having this feature, which is why I'm making the feature request. In the end of the day, all game developers should do that... but time restrictions and so on make it impossible to put all the content you want into your original game... and without having people to re-download and re-install everytime you want to give an update, it's hardly a solution... but thanks for the idea.
B
47
S
15
G
3
Posts: 201
Reputation: 4,625

Post » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:23 am

iI totally agree. there should be a way to increment updates to original code other than writing the new code into the original game. a built in import feature or something so that the new code get placed into the original game and not have to download the whole game plus new all over again.

i know this is possible through java script but like you would like to see this as a built in feature of construct2
B
7
S
1
Posts: 20
Reputation: 450

Post » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:25 am

So is this 100% not an option, or would this possibly be considered? If it's not ever going to be considered, I really need to think of another method... this is the only one that seems to be the best one to me.
B
47
S
15
G
3
Posts: 201
Reputation: 4,625

Next

Return to How do I....?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Artcadev and 32 guests