Most likely impossible... so maybe a possible future feature

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
professionally animated characters with Brashmonkey Spriter !
  • I would like to load a layout\event sheet (just a layout I think would be safer....) that's outside of my project.... for example, for DLC. Is this at all possible? Even through a plugin? Essentially, I would like my customers to be able to download the game... and then as new levels are created, etc etc, people can download small 'patches' or DLC, and it'll read them and load them up as if they were inside the project. I know this is not difficult to do in HTML5... but perhaps this would require a huge undertaking for Construct2 to have as a built in feature.

Anyone?

• I don't see the need. Surely level creation could more easily be handled by importing , for instance, a new json string that contains the layouts for new levels, then just create the levels on the fly based on the new data.

• I don't see the need. Surely level creation could more easily be handled by importing , for instance, a new json string that contains the layouts for new levels, then just create the levels on the fly based on the new data.

Granted, not as simple as it would be to have a level you can build by dragging and dropping in the C2 interface... then copy the XML data, and use that as a load level function. The way you're suggesting would require doing everything manually in text format, as well as building a level creation parser, the ease of which strays away from the "Drag and Drop" attractiveness of Construct2.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the complexity of how some levels can get.... parallax... 20-30 layers... multiple items with different instances..... not something easy to do with what we currently have available.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You could just have new content as a separate project altogether than just link to it via HTTP.

• Would it even be useful to load layout XML files from Construct 2? Then everyone who wants to design levels for your game will (probably) need a C2 license, and you have to share a significant part of the source project in a ready-to-use form...

• You could just have new content as a separate project altogether than just link to it via HTTP.

Then it would require you to re-load an entire project... and they wouldn't be able to go back and forth easily... just not very efficient I'd assume.

Would it even be useful to load layout XML files from Construct 2? Then everyone who wants to design levels for your game will (probably) need a C2 license, and you have to share a significant part of the source project in a ready-to-use form...

More money for you guys, no? In the end, if you're only giving it to people you want to create levels for you.... say if you have a team of level builders for example, then sharing the code shouldn't be a problem anyways... if you even had to. The main reason is for downloadable content, not having to re-download the entire game... just level data. At that point, you already own the source project, and shouldn't be a problem... not to mention, it would be a lot easier for people to implement, than an entire level editor\loader parser. Point to a URL\Filename of the XML data, load it - and treat it like a loaded Layout.

• dunno if this is what you looking for but mabey build the game with all the dlc in the game but only accessible through code input.

so players that buy the code can gain access to the code thats already written in the game. then any time you come up with a new map just write it into original code then change ver number then make new access code.

• dunno if this is what you looking for but mabey build the game with all the dlc in the game but only accessible through code input.

so players that buy the code can gain access to the code thats already written in the game. then any time you come up with a new map just write it into original code then change ver number then make new access code.

Although that is doable, there are lots of different ways to get around not having this feature, which is why I'm making the feature request. In the end of the day, all game developers should do that... but time restrictions and so on make it impossible to put all the content you want into your original game... and without having people to re-download and re-install everytime you want to give an update, it's hardly a solution... but thanks for the idea.

• iI totally agree. there should be a way to increment updates to original code other than writing the new code into the original game. a built in import feature or something so that the new code get placed into the original game and not have to download the whole game plus new all over again.

i know this is possible through java script but like you would like to see this as a built in feature of construct2

• So is this 100% not an option, or would this possibly be considered? If it's not ever going to be considered, I really need to think of another method... this is the only one that seems to be the best one to me.

• Possible feature request for Construct3?

It really doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to incorporate, if you have the same graphics, etc etc... all you're doing is loading the same .xml file... just externally, instead of internally.....

• As is, dlc isn't that feasible as we have no way to introduce new objects into a game.

All you can do is rearrange things, and thats handled well by json.

Think less dlc, more update, in a separate game, and that is somewhat close to what you are asking for.

• I'm not talking large dlc... I'm talking new levels. And json is only an option if you have less than a couple dozen objects... but lets assume you have hundreds of objects.... good luck with that. C2 is all about doing things quick and easy.... pre-determining with accuracy, hundreds of objects in a layout, through json is not exactly doable.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)