motivation and disipline for the unmotivated & undisciplined

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri May 20, 2011 5:48 am

I totally relate to the topic, I ran into same motivation problems over the last two years, having your own company is a thrill, but the contract-less periods were killing me, slowly making you addicted into web-browsing, retro tv streaming, indie games and other work-consuming related topics... and that is very hard to get out from once clients are knocking on the door.

I looked around for motivation tools, and found the pomodoro technique. Principle is a to do list per day, with a side list where you write down all tasks that carry out from one day to another. Then you break down each task in kitchen timer units (25 minutes each) and estimate how long each task will take. Each unit cannot be divided, if you get interrupted by yourself (a sudden need to browse a game development forum, for example) or someone else (phone call) you indicate that got carried away from the task at hands and void the unit running to start it again.

Basically, at the end of the day, you have a to-do list filled with units completed and interruptions, indicating how many 'real' 25 minutes you dedicated fully to the task, and how many times you got interrupted by yourself or others doing so.

Bad points: you need to be honest with yourself, and that's not easy at start.

Good points: you actually have after some days an accurate timesheet of all your activities (in my case, I use this for billing and evaluating). You actually get some work done during these 25 minutes and don't feel guilty not working when taking a break. Having a real kitchen timer and paper worksheet actually felt more tangible than any software app tracking time, it worked better for me, and actually slowly indicated people around not to interrupt before the ring!

this: http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/

(I'm not selling anything here, all downloadable content is free. You can order your kitchen timer from them if you feel like giving back, though)
...but this is mostly psychological. Check my devlog
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 20, 2011 5:52 am

Fitting signature, sved.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 20, 2011 6:37 am

[quote="alspal":3535ct87]So I think http://workflowy.com is the best one I've found, its absolutely perfect for me, its already helping me so much. Has a fantastic UI, and all the features I need.[/quote:3535ct87]

Thank you for the link :). I just started using this this morning for my current project, and got coder on it as well so we're sharing the same list. I've been feeling pretty bogged down lately because we're behind schedule and it just seemed like the workload was too much. Once I got everything I needed to do organized into an outline it really didn't seem all that bad, and I had my first stress-free production day in two weeks.

Well, aside from arguing with my teammate about how the level progression should be handled, but that's not related to the workload :P.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 am

[quote="deadeye":2bylug4p] I just started using this this morning for my current project...
[/quote:2bylug4p]

What you're working on, if I may ask. Is it that cubic guy platformer? And do you both do coding? I'd like to start some project with a friend, but we'll probably both do coding and I still don't know how to merge our work, if one should do menus and stuff and the other main thing? What's your advice?
sorry for little ot
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 20, 2011 10:59 pm

some of this might seem obvious, but it wasn't to me at first so ill share it anyhow.
In workflowy, hitting tab will indent your current item to a subitem of the previous, it works regardless of the cursor position. Shift tab unindents. In mobile browsers there are >>'s to indent and unindent. Backspacing the bullet point erases the item. And enter of course completes the item and starts a new one at the same level of indentation. I believe this was covered in the intro video, but the crosshair on the right side is used to drag and drop events. if there is a way to do this in mobile browsers, I haven't figured it out yet
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 21, 2011 12:47 am

You can also tap enter a couple of times to go back an indent level.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 21, 2011 8:37 am

[quote="Noga":1ayenx2p][quote="deadeye":1ayenx2p] I just started using this this morning for my current project...
[/quote:1ayenx2p]

What you're working on, if I may ask. Is it that cubic guy platformer? And do you both do coding? I'd like to start some project with a friend, but we'll probably both do coding and I still don't know how to merge our work, if one should do menus and stuff and the other main thing? What's your advice?
sorry for little ot[/quote:1ayenx2p]

I don't want to derail the thread or anything, but it's a puzzle platformer for the iPhone. I have done a small amount of C# coding on the project (we're using Unity3D), but for the most part the coding is being done by one of the other guys. I just do the art. Well, and a lot of general design stuff on game mechanics and UI and whatnot. I even used Construct to prototype a few things in the game :D. And no it's not that gravity platformer you mentioned, but that one is in the works for a future project with the same team :).

Anyway, I don't really have much advice on how to get a team together... my friend (the coder guy) came to me and asked if I wanted to work for his new company (yeah, he started an actual company with a business license and everything, go figure). He has another friend who is putting up all the money to get us started, and who is basically the boss because of that. So, um... yeah, if you know someone who wants to start a game company and they have a generous friend who wants to invest in it then that would be a good place to start.

Sorry, I know that's not too helpful :? . I pretty much just got lucky. Life handed me an opportunity and I snatched it up like a hungry stepchild. Of course I won't know how lucky I really am until the game is released :P
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 22, 2011 8:48 pm

I was going to add to this discussion, but I don't think anyone would take me seriously..... ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Churchil said "If you got messy desk then people know u work" or somethng like that ;)

Sometimes u just have to sit down, fck everything else and focus. That's real discipline i guess.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic