Mouse&Keyboard object accessibility [+workaround]

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:18 pm

okay, i still think the mouse&keyboard (M&K) object should be global in the sense that it's not added to layouts but the entire application/game itself.

because creating events using M&K requires the M&K object in the layout, creating multiple event sheets each with their own M&K objects and then bringing them all together into one layout brings a few questions:

- do i have to add the M&K object to this layout for the imported event sheets to work?
- will the layout run without it's own M&K object?
- do i have to copy and paste all the M&K objects from all other layouts?

i think having to add the M&K object every time a new event sheet needs to access the actions and conditions of the M&K object is inefficient

Doppel's Workaround:
[quote="Doppel":d6nuya6p]Yeah i know what to do:
-Create M&K object
-Change it to Global
-In layers copy the M&K object
-And paste it to the new layer (on the layer!)[/quote:d6nuya6p]
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Are you making a new layout each time you want a new event sheet or something? You only need one M&K object per layout...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:37 pm

Add one M&K to the first layout, and tick 'Global' (common properties). It will be accessible via all layouts.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:08 pm

that doesn't work for me, i tried making it global but i still can't select it in the event editor of another layout

as for the multiple layouts and event sheets, what i usually do is play around with various custom engine parts and each part is done in separate layouts each with it's own event sheet and i do include only one mouse and keyboard object per layout. what i'm having problems trying to figure out is when i try to combine all the different parts together into one new layout

oh and curious, how do i access event sheets that i have added through the "Manage event sheets" button?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:19 pm

Yeah i know what to do:
-Create M&K object
-Change it to Global
-In layers copy the M&K object
-And paste it to the new layer (on the layer!)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:41 pm

aha! yes, that's a good workaround for now but it could become annoying to have to do that everytime i create a new layout. thanks Doppel!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:07 pm

[quote="vinny":3smkjvv2]oh and curious, how do i access event sheets that i have added through the "Manage event sheets" button?[/quote:3smkjvv2]

Click "edit" next to the event sheet in the App properties.

Or double-click the event sheet name in the project window.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:25 pm

ah, so that how it's done! the project window, however, only display event sheets connected to layouts, not separately created event sheets, so there's nothing to double click on.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:36 pm

Huh? It shows all of my event sheets in my project tab:

All of those event sheets were created separately except for "Layout 1," "Layout 2," and "testScreen 2" which are the default event sheets. They're all there whether I'm on a layout that uses them or not.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:42 pm

okay, i just did a quick test and it appears that the event sheet does not show up right away, i had to save the file and then reopen it to be able to see the new event sheet
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic