Movement behaviors vs. Event editor movement

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Hey guys, just got Construct Classic, looking forward to working with it... but I'm pretty new to this, so bear with me

I used to use MMF2 a little bit, and coming off of that I kind of have a negative attitude towards automatic movement behaviors... all of the ones in that program were notoriously imprecise and unreliable. I'm wondering if in Construct I should have the same fears. I'm programming something fairly simple at the moment - a basic 8-directional movement engine for an RPG, something like Earthbound or Mother 3 - so I'm wondering if it'd be smarter to use one of the behaviors or if I should go ahead and do it all via the event editor.

I tested the 8 direction movement behavior already, and it didn't seem very accurate with collisions. Plus, the acceleration/deceleration couldn't be switched off, and the alternative of setting them both to like 100000 seems kind of... not ideal.

So what are your thoughts? Should I bother with programming it all myself or is there a way to use behaviors efficiently?
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:16 am

I personally think the event/scripting approach is way better. You'll have WAY more control over things. Such an engine can be made fairly easily with loops.sikio2013-08-02 00:27:55
B

Post » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:56 am

I figured as much. I guess I'll get down to working on a custom engine for it, then.

I'm not too familiar with how Construct handles loops and such, and my memory on how MMF2 did is a little fuzzy... any idea where I could look to figure out a good way to go about this?

EDIT: Actually scratch that - I've come up with a way to do it. It's probably horribly inefficient, but it's at the very least functional, so there's that.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! Jalopes2013-08-02 03:18:29
B
S

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic