[Multiplayer Discussion]Dedicated Server/Peer and Client?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi,

we've had nearly the same discussion a few days ago:

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=122134

Maybe we should exchange some ideas?

Best,

Benjamin
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the input!
Ashley wrote:As I said it should not be a problem to ship server code in the game - not only can it serve as a useful feature, there have also been no known cases of anyone being able to reverse engineer it. Since there is so much duplicate logic between the server and client it makes a lot of sense to work with one project anyway.
That's settling to know. I won't worry about it then.
Ashley wrote:
DatapawWolf wrote:how reliable would the one-project solution be as the project grows?

I don't see any reliability issue - it probably works better that way, since there is often a lot of logic in common between the server and the clients.
I'll give that a shot.

rexrainbow wrote:I had imagined that exported project into linux node-webkit and ran it on a server like linode.
Good to know!

@Ashley @Emy (edit: it's not linking your name?) that idea sounds very useful. Right now, if you use a huge layout, regardless of the distance between players, all objects will be synced, correct? Something to decrease server load such as not syncing movement data between peers farther than X would be nice to have.

Are there any features in the development queue that might have such a use?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:54 pm

As for the mentioned security:
Why not make 2 separate apps ? A host and a client.

The host can be stuffed anywhere the public perhaps can not reach, hell even straight from its desktop :)

As for a database, I would simply have the host totally abuse the webstorage.

As for automatically opening dedicated tabs, thats easy, the browser plugin lets you open pages/tabs ;)

Either have multiple exports of the game in dedicated directories, ie ../gameRoom1/ etc

Or catch something from the URL to open a room on the newly opened tab: index.html?room=1
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:11 pm

Is it possible for me to host the game on my linux web server and have all clients connect to my server? For example if they go to mywebsite.com and launch the game they're not creating the host but are peers that are connecting to mywebsite.com.
B

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General