Multiplayer: host question

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other
  • I am doing some tests with the new multiplayer support, using multiple browsers on my computer.

Firefox and Chrome are my browsers of choice atm.

Testing the ghost shooter.

Using firefox as host, it works all the time when a chrome client connects.

But when a firefox connects to a chrome host, the host leaves right after it joined.

In chrome there is this in the error log:

Error parsing message as JSON for peer '5MTM', host kicking:  
    SyntaxError
    stack: (...)
    get stack: function () { [native code] }
    set stack: function () { [native code] }
    __proto__: Error
     c2mp-peer.js:679
    Peer.doOnMessage c2mp-peer.js:679
    String that failed to parse from previous error:  c2mp-peer.js:687
    Error parsing message as JSON for peer 'HUUP', host kicking:  
    SyntaxError
     c2mp-peer.js:679
    Peer.doOnMessage c2mp-peer.js:679
    String that failed to parse from previous error:  c2mp-peer.js:687
    [Construct 2] Suspending [/code:96izmt8k]

Any ideas ?
  • Anyone else experiencing this ?

Kinda looking forward to continueing, but atm its stopping me from going further.

Ashley Any idea, or should I move this question to the bug section ?

• No yeah I'm having a similar issue. I cannot connect host/peers from Chrome to Firefox or vice versa. However, I can connect any number of same-browser clients/host to eachother.

Very confused.

• i did try that, hosted with chrome, joined with firefox, same issue, first the chrome host disconnects then the firefox user gets kicked. funny thing is, after i did that, it doesnt work on either browser, not even the other way arround

• Does this even work with node-webkit? I'm interested to see if it would work with it, since it's a natural candidate for a host in a client-host architecture.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Initially I tested all browsers from the list,including webkit.

Other browsers decently showed it did not support.

I expected webkit to work as it is chrome, but behaved different then expected.

After some quick tests on my end:

When webkit connects as client to either a firefox, or Chrome: the host (firefox or chrome) shows both players, but on the client there are no players (on webkit), and the webkit client gets booted after short time from the host game.

When the webkit is host it will show both the firefox and chrome players, but the clients show no players (not for firefox or on chrome)

In short: it seems when a connection with the webkit is involved, the host only shows the players.

edit: this is tested on 1 computer, I wonder how much that will make a difference ? (port issues perhaps ?)

• Same here on 1 pc

webkit host -> chrome client - 2 players seen on webkit, 0 in chrome

chrome host -> webkit client - 2 players on chrome, 0 on webkit

For other pcs it doesn't work for me at all (shooter and chat examples). Tried with two computers with chrome and firefox, and with samsung galaxy S3.

If one of these devices is Host others can't connect. Doesn't matter if host is firefox, chrome or chrome on android. For few seconds it shows that 2 peers have connected but nothing more. No "joins" to room.

I can only connect and play using 2 chromes on same computer.

• Hmm, Im experiencing now that I can not connect to the signalling server anymore xD

23:24:32.024 Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at wss://multiplayer.scirra.com/. c2mp.js:293

23:24:32.025 "Signalling server error: [object Event]"

Error message on signalling error gives: [object Event]

• [quote:11l4iywv]Hmm, Im experiencing now that I can not connect to the signalling server anymore xD

Same. Beta is beta I guess

• Is multiplayer out? Is the new update complete?

• HZGaming, multiplayer is out for beta testing for paid (which I see you are), so go ahead and download the latest beta (R134 if I'm not mistaken) and test it out!

However, from what I've been reading, there is something wrong that causes only same-browser and same-computer host/clients to connect to each other.

• If it turns out this is an issue with WebRTC or the browsers themselves, instead of being something Ashley did wrong, there's still a workaround you can do:

In your games, make different "rooms" for people, based on what browser they're using. This way you guarantee same-browser players play together and avoid issues.

• From what I've been hearing, it's not even working across different computers. Like I said, "only same-browser and same-computer host/clients."

It would be nice to hear some direct clarification though. I think they may be testing something now, because the signalling server is down.

• also experiencing this same problem. Is there a way to setup a local signalling server perhaps using node.js. I've was surfing around and found https://code.google.com/p/rfc5766-turn-server/ but not knowledgable enough with WebRTC to really know if that is necessary or not.

• Scirra or Ashley, is the signalling server turned off for the rest of the weekend or something ?

Would be nice to know, instead of waiting for it to mysteriously appear back online ....

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)