Multiplayer Platformer Jump

Report Construct 2 bugs here.

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:48 am

Problem Description
Jumping sometimes does not work on peer side, otherwise flawless on host side. Conditions seem almost totally random, though the jump seems more likely to bug again if you keep trying to jump directly after it bugs once.

Attach a Capx
drive.google.com/open?id=0ByPkS8Fkt5geYjEtZm9yNTQ0cVk

Description of Capx
CapX has the Multiplayer and Platformer functionality I currently use in my project. It's basically my project, stripped down to Multiplayer and movement events, then tested again to make sure the bug still occurs.

Steps to Reproduce Bug
  • Step 1: Open two windows/tabs of the project in order to start the Multiplayer
  • Step 2: Go to the peer's client/whichever window or whatever is the peer and not the host.
  • Step 3: Hit W as quickly and rapidly as possible

Observed Result

Expected Result
I expect jump to function normally as it should with the Platformer behavior.

Affected Browsers
  • Chrome: YES
  • FireFox:
  • Internet Explorer:

Operating System and Service Pack
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1

Construct 2 Version ID
Release 227 (64-bit/Steam)

Link did not originally work because I tried to post a full link, and the forum does not yet allow me to do that since I'm new, so it blocked it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:59 am

I have also encountered similar problems caused by syncing platform behaviour using multiplayer. I was trying to figure a work around so I'm glad you've bug reported it.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:27 pm

sry but im at the moment to stupid to create a own post ._. (pls dear forum admin put me into the right place xD)

i experimented with the scirra multiplayer exsample but the peer wouldnt connect... so i searched for alternatives and google play offers a multiplayer support! (so i dont need to buy a server)

Question is how to implement multiplayer (for turnbased games) best at actual date?

I remember that the google play plugin wasnt recommended some time ago ^^ has that changed yet?

Greetings :D and thx
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:43 pm

@theelderlord - I am not a mod but I think I am able to tell you that your question is more suitable here : how-do-i_f147
Post there and you'll get your reply sooner than here since this is a bug category of the forum, few volunteers explore here.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 pm

B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:00 pm

thx @ all
:D
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Problem here ^^ hope someone tryed it before me...

I made a standalone win32 export that contains links (with the browser object) which look realy fancy ,but they miss the navi buttons!

Is there a way to add buttons infron of the browser object window? thx in common !
(maybe with execute javascript or something easyer?)
B
S

Post » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:45 am

theelderlord wrote:Problem here ^^ hope someone tryed it before me...

I made a standalone win32 export that contains links (with the browser object) which look realy fancy ,but they miss the navi buttons!

Is there a way to add buttons infron of the browser object window? thx in common !
(maybe with execute javascript or something easyer?)

@theelderlord

This post is not relevant to the OP. This section is for reporting C2 bugs, not asking questions.

Please submit any questions in the relevant section, in this case, the C2 'How Do I' section.

Thank you.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:04 pm

I can reproduce, it's definitely unreliable, especially if you add simulated latency.

The input prediction algorithms don't seem to be very well suited to the platform behavior, and I think there's a bit of tug-of-war going on between the local platform behavior and the input prediction corrections conflicting with that. There's also the fact that client updates are only sent at ~30FPS but the game runs at 60 FPS (normally) so there's the chance the user can press jump and have it locally simulate, but it does not actually send a message to the host. That could possibly be fixed by events. However I tried myself and it didn't seem to fix everything.

The timings are very sensitive when you do things like land a jump - input prediction will keep interpolating through the floor, whereas the platform behavior will collide with it and try to land on it. The arc of a jump is also non-linear. I guess it's really designed for top-down linear movement type games.

I will look in to this further, but it looks like a pretty tricky area. I'm afraid I'm not sure I can give an ETA on when this can be improved to the point it is working smoothly. There could be multiple internal fixes necessary.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:25 am

Hoping for fix on this also. There are some workarounds (multiplayer-amp-platform-behavior-position-syncing_p806548?#p806548), but it would be great to get native multiplayer and platform behavior work nicely together.
B
S

Next

Return to Bugs