Multiplayer signalling server (Tools)

Discuss Scirra's 2D Asset Store

Post » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:23 am

Running a server requires some technical knowledge. You should not purchase the server if you do not understand the information in the description relating to NAT, SSL certificates and TURN servers, since these are essential aspects of running a signalling server. You can always simply connect to wss://multiplayer.scirra.com which runs on a dedicated server with a gigabit connection, so has more than enough capacity to run a great deal of games.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:57 pm

From description:

'The signalling server can work with none of the above, but the percentage of users who can successfully connect to the server across the Internet may be reduced.'

Should that be an 'all'?
B

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:32 pm

No, it means the signalling server can still work even without any of the listed points. So it *can* still work even without its own publicly reachable address, without SSL and without TURN, but each of those things will help improve connectivity so more people can connect to the signalling server.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 31, 2017 7:01 pm

Hello! I am currently developing an online multiplayer game and I am trying to use the free Scirra signalling server for establishing the peer-to-peer connections in my game. However, it seems that quite often the server wss://multiplayer.scirra.com/ is down (such as right now), which makes playing, developing or testing my game a bit difficult.

Does purchasing my own signalling server (this product) solve this problem, or will that server be down just as often as the public / free server?
B

Post » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:56 am

@jseppala2 - we did some maintenance today, it was a one-off, usually reliability is better. If you run the server yourself reliability is entirely up to you - if you need a few hours to move the server to a new machine, it'll still go offline like it did for us.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Ashley wrote:@jseppala2 - we did some maintenance today, it was a one-off, usually reliability is better. If you run the server yourself reliability is entirely up to you - if you need a few hours to move the server to a new machine, it'll still go offline like it did for us.

Thank you for your quick response! Ok, I think I misunderstood how this product works then...so if I buy the signalling server tool from you, it is just a piece of software that I can install on any computer I want and then use that as my signalling server, right? If so, I will definitely consider purchasing it in case my multiplayer game ever goes viral (which most likely will never happen lol) since I have rented a pretty stable server for some earlier projects (websites etc.).
B

Previous

Return to Scirra Store