Multiple resolutions - solid example

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:44 am

@Ashley

I had tried it awhile back and didn't get it working. I actually thought that the LayoutScale would be used by default. But since you mentioned it I ran some more tests to see what was going on.

Locks up the preview in both Windows and on iPad

Touch.Y(1)
-or this-
Touch.Y("Main") ---> Main is the name of Layer 1 in the example

- - -

Works correctly in Windows

Mouse.Y(1)
-or this-
Mouse.Y("Main") ---> Main is the name of Layer 1 in the example

- - -

Edit:
I wasn't for sure if you had seen this updated post or not so I submitted a bug report.
http://www.scirra.com/forum/touchy0_topic51222.htmlThunder2012-04-17 11:48:30
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:31 am

I'm going to bump this to ask some questions.

Is this still the best method for multiple devices? Are there any drawbacks?

My main concern is about the resolution, I've read most of the tutorials and threads in the forums about resolution but it's still not enough.

Since nowadays most tablets/phones seem to use HD resolutions like 1280x800 or more, if I design the game on a 960x640 layout won't it look blurred/bad on a high definition screen? Wouldn't it be better to use a high definition layout like 1920x1080 to make sure your sprites and art look nice on every device?

Thanks.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:41 am

Hi Xavier

Hmmm I don't think so. It does a good job tiling the background object so you don't get black borders, but I made this example long before we had letterbox fullscreen (and some other features I forget). Still works well on menus, I guess.

If I were to make this now, I'd add a div in the exported html to add a light background, just so people don't get the black bars - but they'll get a bar, anyway!

As for the blurry matter: Yes, if you have people using higher resolution, things may start to look blurry. C2 has a retina feature, but I'm afraid I never used it, so I can't comment on that. Maybe the help page can help ya. But anyway, I wouldn't worry that much right now - things like these can stop your motivation, so keep working! Just make sure you draw your art on a large scale, so you don't have to draw it again if you decide to release a "HD" version.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks gamma. Motivation is still withing good levels, I'm just trying to figure this out now before starting doing levels on the game so I don't have to go back and redo things.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:22 am

Example capx looks good.. thank you :)

I'm trying to use this for a game layout of 2048, 1536.

1. Wondering of the "Every tick -> set position -> set size" done for menu_tile_bg in the example needs to be done for "every" object in my game?

Cos that'll be a lot of objects even for a single layout.

2. I dont see a on_click event for start_button, how is it working on browser when I click :)

Krish
Hey! Did you know that you can hire me to make your games?

Click Here to See More
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 am

[QUOTE=0plus1] This should be sticky, I wish I'd seen it before..
Why are you setting this: "(LayoutHeight * scaleRatio - WindowHeight) / 2 / scaleRatio" technically the result would always be 0? Or am I missing something?

I tried to put it in my game prototype and used rex's debugpanel and I also get the values as 0
All my objects seem resized to same and centered on the screen.

Not sure what I'm missing.
Krish

Click Here to See More
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:28 pm

[QUOTE=krish] [QUOTE=0plus1] This should be sticky, I wish I'd seen it before..
Why are you setting this: "(LayoutHeight * scaleRatio - WindowHeight) / 2 / scaleRatio" technically the result would always be 0? Or am I missing something?

I tried to put it in my game prototype and used rex's debugpanel and I also get the values as 0
All my objects seem resized to same and centered on the screen.

Not sure what I'm missing. [/QUOTE]

Guess this is what happens if you blindly follow an example.

I am trying to get my player and objects to scale.
So wondering if the right way is to set player position to (currentXposition*scaleRatio, currentYposition*scaleRatio) and setting size to (currentXsize*scaleRatio, currentYsize*scaleRatio)

Anyone?
Krish

Click Here to See More
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi gammabeam,

The link is showing an "Error (404)"
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 am

someone has to share the file again. The link is broken
B

Post » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm

oops, sorry guys. I went through my dropbox folder and now it's gone.

I'll try to find it and post it again!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?