music making tips?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:52 am

I have an intense need to make my own chiptune like music, but as soon as I get into the editor, I freeze up. Especially around the baselines. I just don't have that music theory smarts. Any tips?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:38 am

Acquire said music theory smarts. You can't make music without it.

There are free courses in music theory on cousera.org - I highly recommend it. It's very good.
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Music theory will help. I've been playing and writing music for 15+ years and theory still gets me out of ruts.

That said, there is an ios app called "Autochords" which is super helpful in setting up a decent chord structure based on feel/mood. I use it for a lot of my game compositions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:51 am

Don't know what kind of chiptune stuff it is that you are wanting to make, but dream big and start small. That is I guess the best advice I can give. I made a mistake that cost me years of progress. I started with too big and complicated music. I was in a hurry to advance and that hurry left me with a weak foundation that has taken years to fix spiced with feelings of inadequacy and frustration every now and then. So start small and simple. Get a good foundation and you will save yourself from many heart aches.
Have a happy day!
- Markus Lappalainen, Composer & Audio Engineer
Open for commissions!

For Hire Thread | LinkedIn | SoundCloud
B
S

Return to Open Topic