My 2cents about construct2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 am

@0plus1 if you find bugs or issues in C2, the good thing to do is to file a bug report.
If some issue hasn't been detected, it can't be corrected.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:59 am

Yeah the picking system could improve a little. Pick Nearest and Pick by UID served me well till now but they could be insuficient for other cases. But what i miss the most right now is Families, Sprite Editor and better support for fonts.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:08 am

I do have to add UIDs were added specifically for remembering object instances in combination with the 'pick by UID' condition - I would say they are best suited for that, instance indexes won't really cut it since they change and UIDs never change.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:28 am

[QUOTE=Ashley] I do have to add UIDs were added specifically for remembering object instances in combination with the 'pick by UID' condition - I would say they are best suited for that, instance indexes won't really cut it since they change and UIDs never change.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but picking by uid is useless with out using a variable, and you can skip the uid part, then just use a variable.
Plus you can set the variable in the editor.

Seriously you would be better off setting a variable to the sprite index, rather than its uid.
Yes I know you can't do that.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:29 am

"Lack of debug. It' s impossible to keep track of what is happening in a complex project. I don't need nothing fancy, even something basic with all the var dump would be helpful."

How hard is to make yer own debugger? Seriously. And if you make it yerself, you can customize it to yer own liking and specs., no?

C2 is still beta, but it is no doubt, the best 2D game making engine out there, even if it's only for web games. I am one of those who wishes more exporters were available, specifically EXE. But I'd have to be pretty dense not to realize C2's capabilities, and thus, an EXE exporter would make C2, quite honestly, THE game making tool. Still, as it stands right now, I haven't seen anything better and time efficient.

@Ashley: So UIDs never change, but they do change depending on when the object was added to the project, and once created they will never change. Instance index change as objects are created. Correct? My question, UIDs are equivalent to doing something like: Upon creation of an instance, set some instance variable to 1 (or 0) + # of instances of that object already exist before it. Index, would be constantly changing the variable, not only upon creation, but also as objects are added. Yes?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 am

@newt - I don't understand, you're supposed to use a variable with a UID. What's wrong with that?

Instance indices are useless because they change all the time. If you delete the object with index 0 every single other instance changes its index. So if you stored an index in a variable it's now wrong. Why would you ever want to use that?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 am

Imo there's no need for a debugger at all as in code debugger, since there's no code involved that you have direct control of. But there's a need of a runtime inspector like there was in Classic. And about UID there's nothing wrong with them at all. People just don't seem to know how to use itKiyoshi2011-11-30 01:48:15
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:06 am

[QUOTE=Ashley] @newt - I don't understand, you're supposed to use a variable with a UID. What's wrong with that?

Instance indices are useless because they change all the time. If you delete the object with index 0 every single other instance changes its index. So if you stored an index in a variable it's now wrong. Why would you ever want to use that?[/QUOTE]

Well that's my point, you wouldn't, but its easier to pick.
As it is you have to make an additional action to use uid, but that's only if the object is already picked, and the only realistic way is on creation.

Anyway I'm just saying uid's are pointless, as we have the index, or variables.
And yes picking using the index really doesn't work for everything, unless you were to make it possible to change the index like you would a z index.
.... I think.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:11 am

[QUOTE=newt] [QUOTE=Ashley] I do have to add UIDs were added specifically for remembering object instances in combination with the 'pick by UID' condition - I would say they are best suited for that, instance indexes won't really cut it since they change and UIDs never change.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but picking by uid is useless with out using a variable, and you can skip the uid part, then just use a variable.
Plus you can set the variable in the editor.

Seriously you would be better off setting a variable to the sprite index, rather than its uid.
Yes I know you can't do that. [/QUOTE]

I'm with Ashley on this one, and in my own words: much safer and more robust. Why set a variable to remember an index that you potentially have to keep updating in case any changes are made, when you can set it once and have it as a unique identifier for the entire duration of the runtime. If you've ever been stung by it you want to avoid relying on index ordering for references if you can, in most cases.

Also the UID is automatically assigned, so it would makes sense to use it rather than replicating the same thing by creating your own ID numbering system. You have to think of UIDs as what they literally are, reliably unique ways to reference items.

I guess the reason I am hammering on is that your original statement was emphatic about avoiding the use of UID and I feared it might be teaching what I consider to be bad habits to the others on the forum. I know since I am personally new to Construct I thought there must have been some reasons behind the scenes that I wasn't aware of but it seems not to be the case. So I'd emplore the opposite, please use UIDs.

Good debate though, willing to be shown any merits or limitations of either option to determinine if they are worthwhile influencing the way you'd approach certain situations. For me the bottom line is usually robustness and reliability.
jumprock2011-11-30 06:04:29
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 am

[QUOTE=Kiyoshi]... and better support for fonts. [/QUOTE]
@Kiyoshi: There are now a spritefont and a webfont plugins in the plugins forum.

All C2 users around, be sure to check the list of custom behaviors/plugins once in a while, more and more third party developpers are releasing new awesome tools every day.Kyatric2011-11-30 09:31:38
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General