My C2 game "Bee Active" is live on Ouya!

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 am

Hi everyone,

I can now officially confirm it is totally possible to make a game with Construct 2 and publish it to the Ouya. I did it with CocoonJS.

https://www.ouya.tv/game/Bee-Active/

I am going to be putting together a basic tutorial soon about this.. however bear in mind this game is 100% free. I don't have any IAP in this game, but I am going to work on my next game for it to include that capability and will do a tutorial for that as well once I know how it works.

Thanks!
Caleb
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:17 am

I like that this game is educational, nice approach.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:40 am

Great news.
Do you think big games made with C2 will run smoothly on Ouya?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I'll be checking out the game tonight.

Would love to see a tutorial on how you did it. I do know that Ludei (as of compiler 2.0.2) fixed the constant button press issue that was causing me a lot of grief.
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 am

@kristsbee thanks, my wife did the research. A few typos got through though because of the spritefont+ plugin and my noobish first time using it was a bit heavy handed removing most punctuation.. so I had to mangle a few sentences..

@A0Nasser I believe judging by the performance of this game on the Ouya, which FPS was seems to be as fast as, if not faster than iOS and Android. I noticed the looping music for this works seamlessly where some mobile ports have a small hiccup in them on some devices.. so basically if it plays good on a mobile device it should do fine on the Ouya, hands down.

@Grimbarian awesome. It was pretty painless to port.. AND big news.. I hear that 2.0.2 Canvas+ actually fixed the "on key pressed" issue which I had to hack around.. basically on key pressed wouldn't work.. only "key is down" which as you can imagine makes it hellish for having logic allow you to not fire off key presses because someone holds down a ms too long..

Tomorrow I'm going to give it another update and restore a number of features I stripped out of it for the sake of simplicity because of that nasty gamepad input trouble I dealt with.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:45 am

Congratulations! I can't wait to see a tutorial! I've been holding off on buying an Ouya because I wanted to make sure it was possible to port a Construct 2 game to it (without massive frustration).

I'm most concerned with the Ouya gamepad controls. Was that difficult to work properly?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:49 am

flatness wrote:Congratulations! I can't wait to see a tutorial! I've been holding off on buying an Ouya because I wanted to make sure it was possible to port a Construct 2 game to it (without massive frustration).

I'm most concerned with the Ouya gamepad controls. Was that difficult to work properly?

I've been mucking about with Construct 2 and the OUYA since getting my KickStarter console a year ago, and the only problem with the controls I had come across (and fought to get fixed) was that the button presses would not detect properly. "On Button Pressed" would function as "Is Button Down" - and "On Button Released" didn't work at all.

This has now been fixed using Ludei CocoonJS cloud compiler version 2.0.2.

The only other thing you can't access through the gamepad is the "OUYA system menu" button, but I don't think that's too important.

Other than that, the OUYA controller layout is very similar the XBox pad (which is the layout that the Construct 2 Gamepad plugin uses), so mapping the controller stuff is very, very easy.

Sorry for the thread hijack there @Part12Studios.
B
S

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:56 am

nope nope, @grimbarian thanks for pushing for this. :) I just got lucky in my timing. 2.0.1 was great other than the control issue. I'm about to test a new version that assumes "on button pressed" works like it should now with 2.0.2 to restore some of functionality that i stripped out for times sake..

The next big challenge for me is to get IAP working. I don't know if its easy or not.. i just haven't one any IAP stuff with C2 ever..

and yea the system menu button is really no biggie since it's now used (wasn't always the case) for Ouya system functionality.. even if i could access it, i personally would leave it alone for that reason.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 am

great work , keep it up
Hire or Offer a project

Portfolio

Scirra new Shop
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks, it's been a crazy few days with some client work (non c2 stuff) a C2 class I'm giving in Boston this Thursday that I have to prepare for, family stuff and getting Bee Active updated..

but the good news is that I can confirm the "on key pressed" is working as it should for me so I've already got some of the menu functionality back in the game.. but in-game stuff is still wonky..
B
S
G

Next

Return to Completed Creations