My C3 rant - no exporters no buy

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 am

IMHO the base software should be one-off payment and then the exporters could be subscription. It would be win-win. But then they have to change their mind about native exporters and/or hire people to write working solid HTML exporters to various devices.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:36 am

Without reliable and SUPPORTED exporters I too dont believe I will make a purchase.

Gamemaker 2 mobile just came out of hiding, unfortunately, I really love how easy exporting is and how reliable it is and how FAST it is on GM. I do hate their room editor, their code editor is lacking although much improved this time around, and development is slower. But the exporters very well might make it worth it.
Advertisments, in app purchase, android, ios...all of it just works and i dont need to rely on third party.

Unity 2d has also come a decent ways. I still dont like the workflow compared to how easy C2 is though.

and there are other 2d engines out there...all with native exporters. C2 and C3 being the only ones I know of that cant...

I LOVE how fast I can develop with construct 2. But the huge flaw is the questionable exporters and extra hassle it brings to convert my code over.

The other huge issue I have with construct 3 is I still have no idea what is actually new and improved compared to C2. I havnt heard of anything that screams I HAVE BEEN WANTING AND NEEDING THIS!!! It seems like very subtle improvements that mostly...unfortunately...rely on the community and third party integration to take place and create our own improvements.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:58 am

I agree with all the complaints here and on Ashley's twitter page.

One of the many reasons I came to Construct 2 was because of its affordability and the "buy once" option.

Charging a annual subscription is not worth it to me, as it's not to many others. Yes, I want to be able to easily port to mobile, but I'm not willing to pay that much for it when there are other tools out there that can get the job done better have way more options (such as Xbox One and PS4 Porting as well as mobile)

I'm willing to pay a one time fee for exporting to mobile (I'm willing to pay the $300 for Gamemakers export to android option)

I'm willing to remove myself now completely from this company I once loved and move over to Unity. ( 'cuz it's free and as a personal user you don't have to pay anything unless you basically win the lotto with your game. )

I'd rather spend another six months to a year learning other software then being forced to pay annually for a tool that isn't native and relies on hacked scripts that are often too broken to run on mobile devices (and not to mention HTML5's speed issues) None of this would be relevant though if it was a one time fee for life pay-for model like Construct 2... especially for us smaller "one man team" guys and hobbyist who can't afford a annual fee when they are starting out or have mouths to feed.

With the announce of Construct 3 I became excited.... but that vanished when I seen how they set up their annual payment model. I will be forced to move GameMaker and/or Unity only -- as I feel I will get a lot more value for my money, since Construct 3 feels like it is focusing more on capitalizing their pockets now...

I will miss Construct, don't get me wrong. But this new payment model is just not worth it.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 am

andreyin wrote:Wall text - First Post.

That's the feeling of everyone.

Well, as a game engine C2/C3 is a great editor... and that's it. :(
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:38 am

Guys , they said

Monthly Subscription
There will be a monthly subscription option at $12.99* per seat per month for short term use.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:58 am

What attracted me (well, the company I used to work for) to C2 in the first place was it's ability to build games for Ouya and quickly export to android & windows platforms for testing. This simply isn't a feature i've come across in any other game engine.

Personally, what I would want as an evolution to the Construct family is being able to package and export an APK from within C3, maybe even sign it too so it's ready to go instead of having to mess around with .BAT files to generate keys and run files through CocoonJS. For creating a desktop game, why not have a 'wizard' creator where you can select splash screens and game icon before compiling too and the backend does all the hard work?

Anyway, my point is that 10 years ago games design, creation and publishing was prohibitively expensive and difficult. If Construct is aiming to be the "games engine for everyone" then the focus should be on making it as easy as possible to get your content out there to as many people as possible.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:01 am

hmmg wrote:Guys , they said

Monthly Subscription
There will be a monthly subscription option at $12.99* per seat per month for short term use.

That price is under the 'Education license' section.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:13 am

zenox98 wrote:
hmmg wrote:Guys , they said

Monthly Subscription

That price is under the 'Education license' section.

Ahhh ok , I did not notice that thanks
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:50 pm

It would be great to edit in C2/C3, then load the project/html5 into another game engine for proper fool-proof guaranteed exporting
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 pm

The C3 editor and behaviors should be a plugin for Unity. Imagine the power of Unity with the ease and quickness of Construct's editor and such. The editor improvements are great. Devs who want to make kickass browser games are set for life with this engine. If they want to make games for other platforms, expand the mind a little and learn something like Unity or another engine that offers coding, even GMS:2 or whatever. I'm gonna play with the C3 beta. But I won't purchase it after beta is over, not unless all of a sudden I can make indie games for the Switch and PS4 with it too. But for browser games to put on Newgrounds and the Scirra arcade and the countless browser game websites, yeah C3 is fantastic.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to General Discussion