My Cocoon IO feedback (vs IntelXDK).

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:01 am

None except IAP and AdMob.
ImageImageImage
B
31
S
19
G
82
Posts: 1,038
Reputation: 46,205

Post » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:18 am

Sure, I'll work out some capx example with @cranberrygame 's plugin ;)
Just give me a day or two.

I keep you posted.

Thanks for giving it a second chance :)

Regards
Andy
Image Image iTunes: Match3 | Google Play: Match3
B
106
S
39
G
31
Posts: 1,172
Reputation: 29,233

Post » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Silverforce wrote:For Android I highly recommend XDK.

CocoonIO's biggest flaw are all the ridiculous permissions it adds. Do you know how anti-gamer that is? People see you need phone record, geo-location and it's an auto red-flag against your app. Like adding a huge barrier, which is something you never want as a small time indie.

These permissions should be optional, added when plugins use them, not added by default "in case the plugins need them".

For iOS, I do recommend CocoonIO, the Webview+ on iOS8+ is amazingly fast.


Actually, I prefer to build ipas rather than apks in the XDK. The iOS versions of my games run smoothly on my iPhone 6 whereas my apks having a serious lack of performance in several devices. I think you should give it a try.
B
74
S
14
G
4
Posts: 1,017
Reputation: 8,137

Post » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:18 pm

RBuster wrote:
Silverforce wrote:For Android I highly recommend XDK.

CocoonIO's biggest flaw are all the ridiculous permissions it adds. Do you know how anti-gamer that is? People see you need phone record, geo-location and it's an auto red-flag against your app. Like adding a huge barrier, which is something you never want as a small time indie.

These permissions should be optional, added when plugins use them, not added by default "in case the plugins need them".

For iOS, I do recommend CocoonIO, the Webview+ on iOS8+ is amazingly fast.


Actually, I prefer to build ipas rather than apks in the XDK. The iOS versions of my games run smoothly on my iPhone 6 whereas my apks having a serious lack of performance in several devices. I think you should give it a try.


You're right. It's much easier to optimize a compiler for iOS due to the fact that there are only few devices (not like androids, there are so many diffrent devices with diffrent hardware).
Also apple's iOS is perfectly optimized to their hardware, so the system (iOS) consumes less hardware power than android.
I'm only developing android games so far. At the moment I don't to spend the annual fee for the iTunes Developer Account...
Image Image iTunes: Match3 | Google Play: Match3
B
106
S
39
G
31
Posts: 1,172
Reputation: 29,233

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:29 am

RBuster wrote:Actually, I prefer to build ipas rather than apks in the XDK. The iOS versions of my games run smoothly on my iPhone 6 whereas my apks having a serious lack of performance in several devices. I think you should give it a try.


I haven't used XDK for iOS so I didn't know about it.

Do you use the webview+ plugin for XDK to activate the new Safari iOS8+ performance enhancements?

I just did a test build on XDK, using the Intel App Preview, over Wi-Fi, getting much worse performance than straight C2 preview over Wi-Fi with Safari.
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:27 am

Did some research, App Preview doesn't allow plugins, so there's no WKWebView acceleration, just default UIWebView, hence, the terrible performance.

Tried to do the build, got all the certificates and icons done.

Won't build, failed to install the WKWebView plugin that XDK recommends: https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView

Also failed to install the Cordova dependency, WebView Server.

Le-sigh.
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Silverforce wrote:Won't build, failed to install the WKWebView plugin that XDK recommends: https://github.com/Telerik-Verified-Plugins/WKWebView

Also failed to install the Cordova dependency, WebView Server.

Le-sigh.


It's happened after the last Construct 2 update (r223) and I don't understand why. I had to delete the WKWebView from XDK plugin management tool to be able to build the IPA. Also after this update sometimes portion of my screen is magnifying and I've to restart the app to play the game again. Maybe @Ashley could explain about theses issues, including WKWebView.
B
74
S
14
G
4
Posts: 1,017
Reputation: 8,137

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:06 pm

@RBuster - the screen scaling sounds like this bug which should be fixed in the next build. I'm not sure what could have affected building for iOS, please file reports if you have any more issues.
Scirra Founder
B
402
S
238
G
89
Posts: 24,637
Reputation: 196,071

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Ashley wrote:@RBuster - the screen scaling sounds like this bug which should be fixed in the next build.


It's good to know that. Thanks, @Ashley

I'm not sure what could have affected building for iOS, please file reports if you have any more issues.


I got this error when I built the IPA trough XDK:

Error: Plugin "CordovaWebServer" failed to install.
Error: Plugin "" failed to install.
Error: Could not retrieve plugin dependencies for WKWebView Poly '.
Error: Plugin WKWebView Poly failed to install.

I've to remove it from the plugin management. First I thought it was a XDK problem (despite not having any XDK update recently) ), but when I've exported the files from C2 again, this plugin wasn't inserted in the plugin management as happened before. So I thought that it's something related of C2.
B
74
S
14
G
4
Posts: 1,017
Reputation: 8,137

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:35 pm

RBuster wrote:I got this error when I built the IPA trough XDK:

Error: Plugin "CordovaWebServer" failed to install.
Error: Plugin "" failed to install.
Error: Could not retrieve plugin dependencies for WKWebView Poly '.
Error: Plugin WKWebView Poly failed to install.

I've to remove it from the plugin management. First I thought it was a XDK problem (despite not having any XDK update recently) ), but when I've exported the files from C2 again, this plugin wasn't inserted in the plugin management as happened before. So I thought that it's something related of C2.


I have the exactly same error message.

Without that WKWebView plugin, performance falls back to standard UIWebView, and it's horribly slow.

I'm using r217, so I don't think it's a 223 issue.

@IntelRoberts ?
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests