My first game: Metal X Rock

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:45 am

Hi everyone! This is my first post and my first game! It's called Metal X Rock, a game kind of similar to Asteroids. Why make a game like Asteroids? Well, since this is my first time using Construct, I considered that I should start off small. And an Asteroids-like game seemed to be small enough to start off with, but it was a lot harder than it seemed. But through trial and error, I finally managed to create a working game... At least I think so.

Here are some screenshots:

Here is the download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d2njvwqdztl

Now with this project finally completed, I plan to spend the rest of winter break working on a bigger game. Expect to see some new projects soon :D

[u:1sqcma9s]NOTE[/u:1sqcma9s]: It would be really cool if you could post a screenshot of your highscores in the game :wink:
B
G

Post » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi! Welcomes to Construct!
The game seemed soild to me. My initial thought was it was Metal vs. Rock music lol (but we all know metal is the winnar) :roll:

I'm not too good at asteroids, but this is my high score!

My only suggestion, add a button to restart once you loose and lower the volume of the blast noise. I think it scared my girlfriend lololol

Good works! :mrgreen:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks for the comment! :D :D :D
Here is an updated version with the explosion sound volume lowered:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2tlwvfjwhnz

As for reseting, well I tried switching layouts but when I start the game again the level won't reset. It will still say game over. Do you know of another way to switch layouts and reset them? :?:

[u:znhl63ol]NOTE[/u:znhl63ol]: Your first impression of the title was very interesting :D I wanted the title to be original and confusing, but my explanation would be that you control a ship (made of metal) and you fight against rocks (rock). I put X between them to make it sound cool (well, I think it sounds cool 8) ) And that's how I created the name. Calling it "Asteroids Clone" would have been too boring :P
B
G

Post » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:25 am

Nevermind, after figuring out the true awsome power of variables (which took longer than it needed to :oops: ), I was finally able to set up a reset system. Press R during the game or after you die to reset it.

here is the final version (all previous download links are now invalid):
http://www.mediafire.com/?m1nzemzaeg2

[u:2mvha026]NOTE[/u:2mvha026]: This is the last time I will spend time on this project. I belive it is complete enough for a first project. I also wish to move on, because I've already begun to write a design document and drew some concept art for a much bigger game (like I mentioned in my first post).
Once again, thank you for your comments and suggestions midnight :D
B
G

Post » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:26 pm

I really enjoyed it! Maybe when you bash into a rock though it should destroy it? I get trapped sometimes and die in '1 bash'.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:12 pm

i didnt try the game yet, but im just telling you that next time you should host your screenshots off of a filehosting site that gives direct links, that way your images wont be in a small window and wont get compressed, try using "will host for food"
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Very nice. Any chance you'll post the final .cap?
B
S
G

Return to Your Creations