My full project .cap, with notes and comments

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:12 am

DISCLAIMER:
This project is in no way an official Scirra tutorial. It is my own creation. I am merely providing it to whoever wants to look through it for educational purposes.

So here it is. The full .cap, the demo build, the sounds, and the music for Little Hitler in Toyland.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xdytqn2fyjr

What's covered:
- Menu Screen
- Controls
- Animations
- Audio
- Enemy AI
- Collision routines
- Level changing sequences
- How to make jump-through platforms
- And, uh... Everything else. It's all there.

It's all rather heavily commented. I explain what variables are doing and why certain events are being used, how to achieve certain effects, etc.

In the places where I knew I could have or should have done something different, I made a note about it. Likewise I commented where there is obsolete code that was fixed by the new platform movement in .93. If you have any questions, or any critiques on how something could have been done differently, feel free to post them.

Hope this helps some people out.

Oh and I don't think I have to mention this, but it's just for educational purposes. So don't go using the art in your own project or releasing your own build with new levels or whatever. Not that I think you would, I'm just saying. If you're really itching to help me with a final release or whatever then PM me. All other questions about it belong here in the thread.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Yay, awesome!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:17 am

Just one thing i thought of. You have probably thought of this yourself too, but if there are anyone who hasn't i will post this anyway. :wink:

We should try to avoid "little hittler" being one of the main tutorials for construct. You know.. peopole are paranoid for nazis, and just the name might give people thie wrong thoughts about the program. Since there isn't very much tutorial stuff on construct yet this will be a good resource, but still we shouldn't go around in every forum we can find shouting: "Try this program construct! Her's a tutorial of how you make a hitler game"... Well... you probably get the point.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:51 am

Yeah, I realize that. Like I said in my TIGS thread, I feel kinda bad that the largest project made with Construct to date is about Hitler on a temper tantrum.

Sorry, Ashley. It was the Random Game Name Generator what did it :( So far though nobody has scolded me for making it.

But yeah, nobody go promoting this elsewhere as a turorial. It's in no way official, and has no affiliation with Scirra. As a mere Construct user, I take full responsibility for it as my own creation.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:01 am

Yeah, I'm gonna take a look at this, see what I can learn :)

EDIT: Whenever I try to scroll down, I get three dialog boxes saying "An invalid argument has been encountered". In your project. Never happened to me :O
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:27 pm

[quote="deadeye":1m01tiks]Yeah, I realize that. Like I said in my TIGS thread, I feel kinda bad that the largest project made with Construct to date is about Hitler on a temper tantrum.

Sorry, Ashley. It was the Random Game Name Generator what did it :( So far though nobody has scolded me for making it.

But yeah, nobody go promoting this elsewhere as a turorial. It's in no way official, and has no affiliation with Scirra. As a mere Construct user, I take full responsibility for it as my own creation.[/quote:1m01tiks]

Hitler games are epic. I'll make a game where you control Hitler's ragdoll arm with the mouse, and you have to do most SIEG HEILs possible in a minute.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:08 pm

[quote="Hideous":12120vr1]Yeah, I'm gonna take a look at this, see what I can learn :)

EDIT: Whenever I try to scroll down, I get three dialog boxes saying "An invalid argument has been encountered". In your project. Never happened to me :O[/quote:12120vr1]

That's just one bug in a list of them that I have yet to report. It happens if you click the scrollbar in Construct before clicking in the window itself.

Try it with your own .cap, I don't think it has anything to do with mine specifically.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Okay, I've finally gotten around to reporting the bugs I encountered while making this. So far:

- Crash when adding sprites
- Error when clicking the scrollbar of an Event Sheet
- Newly created Event Sheets do not appear in Project list
- "Close Project" crashes if more than one window is open
- Play Sound event repeats if window is moved
- Right-clicking the window bar title causes objects to glitch

Whew! All submitted to the bug-tracker.

There's still one more I'm trying to recreate that has to do with crashing when minimizing project windows.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:45 am

I've been looking around at this now, and while it is useful, I think you should use this and write several small tutorials. There's a lot I don't understand in here :P
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:27 am

[quote="deadeye":1crw9zfp]Okay, I've finally gotten around to reporting the bugs I encountered while making this. So far:

- Crash when adding sprites
- Error when clicking the scrollbar of an Event Sheet
- Newly created Event Sheets do not appear in Project list
- "Close Project" crashes if more than one window is open
- Play Sound event repeats if window is moved
- Right-clicking the window bar title causes objects to glitch[/quote:1crw9zfp]
Great work!
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your tutorials & example files