My game is currently 1080p. Any easy way to make it 720p?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Easy Isometric
$19.99 USD
EasyIsometric behavior helps creating an “isometric” perspective with 2D assets.
  • My game targets the standard 16:9 aspect ratio, and the window size is set at 1080x1920 (it's portrait).

Because it's 1080p, it looks super crisp. However, I want to see if I can give it a performance boost by reducing the resolution down to 720p, or 720x1280. It'll look slightly 'softer' on high-res devices, but nothing too horrible.

The problem is that the game is a bit complex, and going through and adjusting every object and event to work with the new resolution will be arduous and prone to error. Is there an easy way to scale the whole game down in a way that reduces the amount of pixels the GPU needs to render?

A dynamic approach is preferable, but any ideas you guys have, no matter how good/bad, will be much appreciated! Thanks.

• I used this tutorial the other day, maybe this will help you

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/932/mu ... erformance

• No idea if this will help, but you can resize everything with ctrl+a then hit the return key and scale everything with the mouse...

• Thank you all! Some very good insights here. Marapa, that tutorial is basically perfect

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you don't change any of the object images or animations, then simply use letterbox scale mode. Then on a 720p screen you'll get 720p display.

• If you don't change any of the object images or animations, then simply use letterbox scale mode. Then on a 720p screen you'll get 720p display.

Definitely. That's what my game already does. However, I'm wanting 720p on a 1080p screen, or even a 4k screen. Essentially, I want to limit the max resolution. Does it make sense to do that to improve performance? The idea is that the GPU will have to render less overall pixels, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing to achieve that makes any sense.

I used this tutorial the other day, maybe this will help you

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/932/mu ... erformance

This method is almost perfect for my needs. However, it seems that if you click on the 5th square (going right to left), and then click on the 4th square, the view gets cut off to only show the region in the bottom-right. What causes this exactly? And how could one fix it? The events appear identical. It's only that specific combination (Scale to 6.0, then Scale to 3.0) that appears to cause it. Wth?

• > If you don't change any of the object images or animations, then simply use letterbox scale mode. Then on a 720p screen you'll get 720p display.

>

Definitely. That's what my game already does. However, I'm wanting 720p on a 1080p screen, or even a 4k screen. Essentially, I want to limit the max resolution. Does it make sense to do that to improve performance? The idea is that the GPU will have to render less overall pixels, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing to achieve that makes any sense.

Only if you use 'Low quality' fullscreen mode. Even if the viewport is 720p, in high quality fullscreen mode letterboxing that to 1080p or higher will display more detail, and run at the same performance. If you use low quality fullscreen mode it will render at the viewport size and then simply stretch the result to fill the display, which improves performance on weak GPUs with low fill rate capacity.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)