My games got stuck on iPad...finally with my capx

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm

I finally made some simple files to show you my bug on iPad 4 (and iPod Touch 4) in wich I get "stuck" if I go from one html5 page/game to another directly.

You can try it first in a browser:
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad-Link/

Link to .capx file (required!):
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad/Test-iPad.capx
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad/Test-iPadLink.capx
(this second one is just a line of text with a "Open URL in new window" action of the Browser object, nothing else.

Steps to reproduce:
1. You just click on the first file wich contain only one line with a link and then you are directed to the second file wich is just a number, starting from 0 (zero) that goes up by one every 0.2 seconds.
2. On iPad (4 here) or iPod Touch (4 again here) the number doesn't add up, but it works in Safari on a Mac, in Firefox on a PC etc.
3. If I hit refresh on the second page in iOS (iPad or iPod) then it works, or if I go to this file directly without using the first file. Its also "resume/work" if I touch the Adress Bar in iOS and then untouch it or try to zoom/unzoom, it seems I have to unfreeze the Safari browser window on my iPad/iPod.

Observed result:
The file is "stuck", those files are just an example, it's does the same with my 2 C2 minigames so far. (only on iPad/iPod/iPhone, not on others tablets I think)

Expected result:
The file should not "pause" at the beginning...

Browsers affected:
Firefox: NO
Safari on a Mac: NO
Safari on iOS (iPad 4 and iPod Touch 4): YES
Internet Explorer: I don't know
Chrome: I don't know

Operating system & service pack:
iOS

Construct 2 version:
Release 119 (Feb 13)

Thanks for your time!

-----------------------------------------------
Here is my post in the "closed bugs" section, sorry for the double post.

Sorry for being so late Ashley.

I finally made some simple files to show you my bug on iPad 4 (and iPod Touch 4) in wich I get "stuck" if I go from one html5 page/game to another directly.

So, you can test in a browser my simple thing:
Those files are made with Construct 2 without touhcing the exported resulting files at all.

http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad-Link/

If you touch the only line in this page it directs you to:
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad/ ...wich is another C2 html5 file that simply add 1 every 0.2 seconds to the black 0 in the center of the screen. It works fine in Firefox on a PC, in Safari on a MA...but not on my iPad 4 and iPod Touch 4 without hitting refresh OR touching the adress bar then untouching it...

And so, here are my capx:
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad/Test-iPad.capx
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad/Test-iPadLink.capx
(this second one is just a line of text with a "Open URL in new window" action of the Browser object, nothing else.
I made 2 games so far: www.ID-Games.net
B
9
S
2
Posts: 47
Reputation: 1,315

Post » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:24 pm

It worked first time on an iPad 2 with iOS 6.1.2, but the second time I could see a problem. However it went away if I just swiped in the main area, no need to touch the address bar. It's very likely an iOS bug rather than a C2 bug though, since it works everywhere else apart from iOS.

Does it work if you put a text object on both apps which is set to tickcount every tick? This will force it to redraw every frame (whereas normally if nothing happens it won't redraw) and could be a workaround.
Scirra Founder
B
359
S
214
G
72
Posts: 22,952
Reputation: 178,630

Post » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 pm

A BIG thanks for taking the time to answer me on this Ashley.

I tried it with a text object containing the tickcount here and it doesn't work either on iOS (6 here) except on the first time but on other platforms the tickcount updates correctly everytime.

In a browser:
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad-LinkV3b/

Link to .capx file (required!):
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad/Test-iPadV3b.capx
http://www.jeuxid.com/iHD/Test-iPad/Test-iPadLinkV3b.capx

I want to bring your attention to something that could maybe help you to find a way to work aroung this in C2...?? I understand this bug may appear on iOS only but maybe you still can adress it via a "workaroung" for iOS? The "something" is the fact that my 2 text object have text initially in them that are not "0" (zero) if you look at the first Capx, the text object that contains the tickcount contains the text "tickcount will appear here" as an example. But the "on every tick" "set text" action updates it to "0" before the browser tab "freezes" on iPad. Same thing for the other text object the 2 actions of the "on start of layout" put a zero in it but the "on every 0.3 seconds" actions doesn't "proceed".

Thanks again for your time.DavidA132013-04-17 19:37:09
I made 2 games so far: www.ID-Games.net
B
9
S
2
Posts: 47
Reputation: 1,315

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:55 am

Here's something to try: in the project that gets frozen, append to a text object whenever 'On suspended' or 'On resumed' triggers in the Browser object. It might be pausing because iOS is firing a 'page hidden' event, which causes the game engine to pause, and then fires a 'page shown' event when you interact with it. Unfortunately this would only confirm it's an iOS bug, because it shouldn't send a 'page hidden' event when you can see the page!
Scirra Founder
B
359
S
214
G
72
Posts: 22,952
Reputation: 178,630


Return to Closed bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest