My isometric RPG

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:07 am

mef1sto wrote:
DrewMelton wrote: I even passed the 10,000 image limit, so I can't even preview or use the debugger.

A few months ago I also encountered this problem ... Ashley said:

Sorry, there is nothing we can do about this. The Windows OS itself has a limit of 10,000 graphics objects per process, and the editor needs at least one icon per object not including everything else a typical Windows app needs, which is probably pushing you over the limit. Addressing this would require fundamentally rearchitecting the editor. This work is being done for C3, but it is too late for C2. I am shocked that anyone would ever run in to this limit anyway, since that is a truly extraordinary number of images to be using. All you can do is try to reduce the number of images used, or one other workaround is to export your project every time you want to test it, which applies spritesheeting and reduces the number of images.

I thought for a while, until there is a development - get rid of extra animation frames, leaving only what is necessary to test the number of frames

Yeah, I kept it to just the two characters for as long as I could for this. However, working (and trying to show off) a game with missing animation frames isn't enjoyable, and maintaining two copies was a bit annoying, so I eventually just lived with it. There were also times when I needed to test animations for triggers or whatnot, so not having all of them made some tests impossible.

Anyway, it's a bit of a moot point since I am postponing the project for the moment while I work on my other game in UE4. When I restart this project (or a variation of it), I will mostly likely do it in an engine that supports 3d. It makes it so much easier. Being limited to 2d just isn't my thing. That and I would want more console export options.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:20 pm

:D Sounds like an awesome game! Looks super fun too! :!:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:12 pm

GameDevJoe wrote::D Sounds like an awesome game! Looks super fun too! :!:

Thanks! The Unity port is coming along nicely. It should be even better than what you see here. I'm in the process of moving, so I am a bit behind, but I will eventually create a new thread in the open topic section showing how my game is coming along now that it has been moved to Unity.

Things to look forward to in the port:

improved animations
improved HUD
new enemies
more textures for environments
improved object interactivity and highlighting
larger levels, and more varied rooms
improved water
pathfinding with physics
new abilities
character redesign

Some of that is only now possible since I moved to Unity since I needed 3d functionality to be able to do this stuff.

I still want to get it done by the end of the year, but with all that is going on, I'm not going to force myself to release until I am ready.

I am currently learning C# and Unity. Like I said, I'll post a new thread somewhere on the forums showing my progress, probably in a couple months. I have no energy right now with moving and needing to stay with relatives for a couple weeks during all this mess, but hopefully I'll be back on track before long.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:33 pm

DrewMelton wrote: I even passed the 10,000 image limit, so I can't even preview or use the debugger.

you can bypass that by loading the sprite sheets from a online storage(ftp,server etc) that way you wont have the images in the game all the time but will download them only when they are needed the rest of time they get flushed.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 pm

gamecorpstudio wrote:

you can bypass that by loading the sprite sheets from a online storage(ftp,server etc) that way you wont have the images in the game all the time but will download them only when they are needed the rest of time they get flushed.

Thanks, although it would be better if C2 just created the sprite sheets on preview. I heard c3 may address this, but who knows.

Although, again I will most likely not be coming back to C2.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 am

aw man that's a shame. But probably unity makes more sense for the kind of game you're into (10k objects ffs). I hope we hear more from it -- in these forums or wherever. Don't you have a working name yet, so we can keep the track of it? "Isometric RPG" might be difficult to find outside this thread :P
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:48 pm

yeah Drew, you should setup a Steam Concept page and put your progress (devlog) there, then when it's time to go to greenlight you may already have a bunch of people's interest for voting..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:22 pm

megalocrator wrote:aw man that's a shame. But probably unity makes more sense for the kind of game you're into (10k objects ffs). I hope we hear more from it -- in these forums or wherever. Don't you have a working name yet, so we can keep the track of it? "Isometric RPG" might be difficult to find outside this thread :P

I'll make sure to post a link in this thread so all who were following the game will be able to get the new updates in the new thread. The new thread will probably be in either the open topic or game discussions sections, whichever makes more sense. I'll probably just call the thread "My isometric RPG- Unity port" when I make it. It'll probably be a couple months at least, but I'll make sure people know.

I have not decided on a name yet. I've got a bunch of ideas down for possibilities though.

And yeah, working in 3d has been much better for this type of game. If you watched my video on level construction, you'll see why. There will hardly be any visual difference in moving to 3d, but I'll have a much easier time of creating levels, animating characters, generating pathfinding, using physics, or just making adjustments since 3d can be updated whereas 2d must be re-rendered and uploaded.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:24 pm

jobel wrote:yeah Drew, you should setup a Steam Concept page and put your progress (devlog) there, then when it's time to go to greenlight you may already have a bunch of people's interest for voting..

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Once I get the Unity port looking like my C2 prototype, I think I will do that. The release date is still a few months away. I want to get it done this year, but with all that's going on right now, I am giving myself some leeway to ensure that the release is satisfactory.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Your game indeed look amazing, I'd love to play it.

I read sadly that you decided to move to an other engine, although I understand your reasons. If you don't mind, can you talk about how you set up your pathfinding system for this game? I liked how seamless it was in your videos. The official plugin does have a bit of latency, even at big cell sizes.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests