My new game "The Myth Of Dazel"

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 am

@zsangerous,

Ha ha, thanks man. I uploaded a newer version of the game with a lot of animation bugs fixed. Believe, when your game has a lot of different animations, it becomes so difficult to make them work all together.

Anyway, for the Controls, it's because I forgot to put the Default Controls to "No". I really prefer the WASD Controls with the mouse than the Arrows Keys. I think it depends on the type of the game. If your game uses a lot the mouse, you should definitely use the WASD Controls over Arrows keys. It's not very convenient to play the mouse and the Arrows key because you body is not "centered" (if you see what I mean). It become kind of frustrating for the player.

Thanks again for your comment. I'm still working on the game. I'll fix other issues and add new levels.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 am

@devMigard

Thanks a lot man. Sure, I will try to learn how to make sprites. The only thing that scares me a little, it's going to take me a lot of time to learn that :(.

Thanks also for the suggestion. I will be really happy to know that the Scirra Devs have accepted to take my game as an example for "what we can do with the Free edition of Construct2". Ha Ha.

With this game, I can tell you that now, I really understand how objects instances and animations work. I can do more sophisticated games now only with the Free Edition.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm

[QUOTE=anthonykojima] I also reduced the number of events used from 100 to 97. Yeah![/QUOTE]

Haha :) nice one. Thanks Anthony re the graphics - to be honest I wish I could have spent twice as much time on them.

You could learn how to be an artist from websites (there is probably some great sites out there), the only problem I find is when your following tutorials - your learning to "follow the steps" of how draw instead of experimenting yourself in a freestyle kind of way (I hope that made sense). I have a bit of work on my plate right now but Id be happy to set you down the path that got me started. Maybe even make a tutorial on functional graphics if enough are interested. If not im happy to help you privately.

Get yourself a pencil and some paper (Forget about colour for now just focus on outlines). Every picture you see (no matter how complex) is just a series of shapes stuck together (and then edited).

Take a logo, for example the Scirra Cog wheel. How would you draw that? you could try and do the whole cog itself in one go but even a seasoned artist would probably struggle with getting it right first go. The simple way is to draw 3 circles. One for the middle, and then 2 close together so its easier to line up the cogs teeth up properly. (If you need help drawing the circle, use a cup or anything really and trace it. If your teeth arent all equal size - use a ruler and measure it).

The whole point of that exercise was to show you that you can draw. Sure it was only a simple cog wheel, but maybe if you drew more of them, changed some, made them spin and then linked them all up it would look pretty cool wouldnt it :) . Thats what its all about - reducing a complex image into its smaller "managable" sections.

Well that was a bit of a rant wasnt it. lol.GenkiGenga2012-08-23 16:49:49
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:23 pm

ok instead of talking about animation first try to fix the bugs and coding ^^ today i found a bug i don't know how i make it but mostly is when i get flashing while attacking and moving lol... lets start to the bug:
the bug has many unfair game i can just moving into the player and it will get damaged without attacking him , even that i don't get hurt lol .. really unfair ^^

so here is a picture of what the player look when the bug happen :)

and this after i get arrows

so i think the problem is in the flash events because it really has many weird stuffs while flashing :) like it sometimes doesn't change his face and stuffs like this. i wish you do my way for animations ^^ it will help you alot , even you can put 2 variables on each animation if you want ...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for all your suggestions @GenkiGenga. You really made me want to learn how to draw sprites. You know what? For my next small game, I will entirely create the sprites. Everything will be made by GIMP or Photoshop.

I already have some ideas in mind. I made a new version of the Game by the way. I used all my remaining events and I added a new level in the game and even a new boss. . If you have time, don't hesitate to check that out.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 am

@zsangerous,

I'm really sorry for what happened. I didn't expect having such kind of bugs in my game. The thing that bugs me, is the fact that every time you test it on your computer it works well. But when someone else tries it, it doesn't work. QA is unfair

Anyway, I checked your way of managing animations and I have to say that it's really simple and brilliant. I should have thought of that since the beginning. Unfortunately, when I tried to apply it to my game, I didn't success just because, I kind of made the animation system too complicated. If I want to apply your way of doing animation to my game, I have to restart almost everything. That's why I decided to use your way for my next small game. And I'm sure it will fit perfectly.

I only have one question, you said that I could use 2 variables for each animation, how do you do that since you use a condition "on every tick" and the action "set animation to", which is best with only with one variable? I hope I'm clear with that question.anthonykojima2012-08-31 08:53:59
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

New version of the game is available

In this version:
- [Fixed] I fixed (again!!!) some animations issues
- [Added] With my remaining events, I added a new level and even a new boss.
- [Added] Now you can use the Hookshot while jumping
- [Added] Now you can launch Arrows while jumping

It's incredible what you can do with only 100 events but it also makes me think of "What we can do with a license!!!!!!!". Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy a license for the moment (patience...). I should have got one before even if I know that, at that moment, I still couldn't afford one .

Anyway, more seriously, here are some screenshots:

Please, don't hesitate to check that new version out and of course, le me know the bugs you found. Enjoy and stay tuned!!!!!! anthonykojima2012-08-31 10:26:59
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm

ok first of all i didn't try your game after the update , ill check it later when i'm not busy ^^ ( collage stuffs because the collage starts tomorrow ).

about your question , how can you put 2 varibales to fit on one animation.
simple lets say we have a very complicated game which has the normal animations ( move,jump,idle,...) and another animations which has the mood of the player like player level5, level10 , level15...

so in this way you have 2 variables , one for the normal and one for the mood or level ^^

so in the animations of the player it will has like this :
player_variable1_variable2 = player_move_level5
                             player_jump_level5
now 2nd level (level10)    = player_move_level10
                           = player_jump_level10
and so on in all the stuffs ^^ in this case you just want to change the 2nd variable to change the whole animations from level to level and in one simple event you can do that for example :
everytick ->>> player : level variable = set the variable 2 to "level&level variable"
so now you have 3 variable the two i mentioned before and one for the counting the level ^^

B
S
G

Previous

Return to Completed Creations