My new game - Zombie Typing Survivor

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi all,

Let me present to you my latest game. The game is named "Zombie Typing Survivor". The goal of the game is to survive to all the Zombie waves coming after you.

Play the game here

Unfortunately, I won't work on others games anymore because I don't have time. So, this will be my last game of this year at least.

How to play
The gameplay is simple. Use the Keyboard keys to kill Zombies.
In addition, the player has 3 grenades when he starts. Press Space bar to launch one. A grenade kills all the zombies of a wave. Use them wisely. Remember you only have 3.

Credits
Some graphics are made by Daniel Cook.
Title screen music by brandon75689 (tragic Ambient Main menu)
In game music by HorrorPen (Dramatic Action)

ScreenShots

Please, feel free to leave any feedback about the game. I would appreciate. Especially comment about bugs found in the game or suggestion to make the game better.anthonykojima2012-09-07 19:16:03
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm

I had the idea of making this game while I was in the toilets. I swear. I also just wanted to see how far we can go with the Construct2 engine. I'm pretty sure that the game lags when there are a lot of zombies. This game is also a test.

I don't think there are such games like this on the Scirra Arcade too. For me it was a great challenge. In addition, I only used 72 events. As always, I only use the Free Edition of Construct. With the 28 events remaining, I could add more stuff .
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Very nice, simple gameplay.
Graphics wise, could be improved a lot.
The blood has a weird white border, probably from bad transparency or cropping.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 pm

One gameplay issue I had was with the invisible letters. One example was getting the word "Ass" and I couldn't type it at first and I wasn't sure if the game was bugging or not when I realized it was either pass/mass/whatever else.

I feel it would have a better flow if the missing letters have a symbol signifying that you have to figure it out.

Other than that it is a nicely executed game.MWB2012-09-07 20:29:19
B

Post » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:26 pm

@Rory,

Thanks for your comment Rory. Concerning the graphics, it's true some part could be improved. I removed some of them. For example the blood you mentioned. It was easier for me.

Believe me, you won't be the first one to who I said that. I'm not good at drawing sprites and I'm willing to learn how to do it. Of course, I saw your great game and I noticed you made the graphics yourself. I wanted to ask if you know any website where I can learn how to make pixel sprites?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:39 pm

@MWB,

Thanks for your comment man. I absolutely see what you mean. It's just a matter of Layout size in fact. The word you were trying to destroy was "mass". I'm guessing you pressed firstly the letter "m" and the word was not visible in the layout. In addition, I think there was at least 2 zombies whose word started with the letter "m". So, there is a script that choose randomly between zombies with same first letter of the word.

Another thing, there is no missing letter. The game is to destroy each letter of a zombie. It's not about guessing what the missing letter is. Once you hit a letter, it will be automatically destroyed. Then, you have to destroy all the other letters.

I uploaded a new version of the game with a bigger layout size. You can check it out. Let me know if this was helpful.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:17 am

Oh, odd.. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that means there is a bug somewhere. Often some words are missing letters in the middle of words.

I also got this game over screen:

And I noticed the intro screen looks like this for me:

Can anyone else confirm if this is just on my end?
B

Post » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:30 am

Thats the most fun I have had spelling... well... Ever! I could probably use the help as well haha :)

I got to wave 11 - 300 points.

One thing, when you get to the stages with tons of zombies and there is multiple words starting with the same letter - It always chooses the Zombie/Word furthest away from the player (my eyes on the other hand naturally go to the zombie/word thats closest to the player).

Great work.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:43 am

Looks okay here. What browser are you using MWB?

I like it. Some suggestions:
I think the score should be based on typing speed and not just number of zombies killed.
I don't like the way it randomly selects a word starting with the first letter you typed. You start typing a word and it selects a different one and it really throws you off. It can be difficult to figure out the other word as well when there are many words on the screen and overlapping. I'd suggest moving the selected word to the top of the z-order so it's not hidden behind other words.
And you need an option to mute the music ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 am

Very odd.. It happens in Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
B

Next

Return to Completed Creations