My next plugin - dungeons.

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
The I18N (Translation) is a Construct plugin created to translate text in game.
  • Well, there's been no complaints in the Perlin Noise thread, so I assume either nobody's using it or it's a resounding success. Either way, it is a small component of my game. The next component is randomly generated interior structures, which I will tentatively call "dungeons", because words like "structure" and "building" are not quite accurate.

Basically, this plugin is going to take a lot of square sprites, and let you categorize them into "walls" "floors" and "doors". You can then add decoration sprites to those three categories that will be randomly sprinkled onto the map as well. You give the dungeon a seed at that point and it will assemble the map for you. I plan on having it support cellular autonoma for natural areas like caves, as well as man made structures with clearly defined rooms and halls. The size will also be adjustable.

It's a work in progress right now. I have the generators working, but I'm working on getting the plugin features just right. I'd like it to be a visual thing that you can see directly inside the editor, if possible. It is clearly not anywhere near ready for release, but there is potential here, and I opened this thread for some ideas on things I could add to the plugin to make it more user friendly.

Shoot!

• I've not been using Perlin Noise because I'm not really working on any projects right now, the month being November. Busy NaNoing

But yeah, the plugin you propose would be immensely useful, not only for dungeons, but for other applications - imagine a randomized town, for example.

So looking forward to your plugins after I'm done with my novel!

• imagine a randomized town, for example.

This is a component of my game, and I was wondering whether or not to integrate it into this plugin. I think that functionality isn't specialized enough to make it in, and yet town generation is SO SIMILAR to dungeon generation that it'd be a waste not to. Essentially, a city is just an inverted dungeon with no doors...just rooms with walls between them - except the walls are roads and the rooms are city blocks.

My plan was just to have the dungeon object place sprites, and leave the behavior of said sprites up to the designer, so theoretically this could be possible by just not adding any objects into the door category, and making your rooms solid and your walls walkable rather than the inverse.

• Arsonide you are really making the wet dreams of some people around here come true!

That plugin sounds uberuseful and I can't wait to try it out. On another note, I've toyed a little with the Perlin Noise plugin. It surely has great possibilities, but didn't find a way of including it properly in any of my game concepts. Not YET.

• So I take it your GTA style thief game is still on the table, then?

• Arsonide I'm loving perlin noise. Everything works exactly as needed.

The dungeon plug sounds great too, just wondering If they could be used together on a z-height map.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • So I take it your GTA style thief game is still on the table, then?

Possibly in the future. I am enthralled with the concept of a thievery game, since so few exist and I enjoy thieving stuff in any game that allows me to.

What I have on my plate right now is much more ambitious than that. In fact, I'm not even sure what the gameplay will be like quite yet, I just know how big it will be.

16,602,069,658,607,655,322,500,000,000. Yes, that is the area of what I am planning. That is sixteen octillion, six hundred and two septillion, sixty nine sextillion, six hundred fifty eight quintillion, six hundred and seven quadrillion, six hundred fifty five trillion, three hundred twenty two billion, five hundred million pixels on one layout. It's completely seamless - Construct doesn't break. Each sector is 30,000x30,000 pixels, and there are 18,446,744,065,119,617,025 sectors in the game. Going to any of them does not require a load, and there is no boundary of any kind. You just fly around in that space, and I have rigged Construct to understand how to interpret everything persistently. The sectors are simply there to identify where you are, they do not instance any area of space in any way. The crazy part is that this isn't the entire gameplay area, just one layout, the space layout. There are planets that are sized *to scale*, so you could spend an entire game on one planet if you choose, and you might have to if you crash land on one.

All of my sectors are procedurally generated down to the last detail. They are given names, histories, FUTURES (yes, I generate a procedural timeline for every point in time, for every area of space). They are then populated with planets and anomalies, and even ships at this point. Ships that belong to empires that span hundreds and thousands of stars...empires that are at war with each other. The empires themselves are randomly generated, so one could be a monarchy of three eyed aliens, while another could be a democratic kind of one eyed alien species that prefer trade over war. Currently you can land on these planets and walk around, though you will see a transition between each tile on a planet (a zelda style transition between each point on a perlin map).

However, my planets are currently empty, and that's why this plugin is the next logical step. So yes, my current project is quite a bit more ambitious than a mere city. See my problem was always that I could code, but not well enough to do a full game. Once I discovered the plugin SDK and how to use it, I learned that I *can* code well enough to push out a plugin to make Construct do what I need it to do. Then Construct can handle all the dicey problems like collision, graphics, sound, and so forth. I also found a source of art for my game recently, which means I can replace all the stuff I found randomly on google images! So as soon as I hook everything together well enough to take some footage of it, I will release some information.

• Perlin noise plugin is great! And I would have to give this idea like... seven thumbs up. T'would rock.

• All of my sectors are procedurally generated down to the last detail. They are given names, histories, FUTURES (yes, I generate a procedural timeline for every point in time, for every area of space). They are then populated with planets and anomalies, and even ships at this point. Ships that belong to empires that span hundreds and thousands of stars...empires that are at war with each other. The empires themselves are randomly generated, so one could be a monarchy of three eyed aliens, while another could be a democratic kind of one eyed alien species that prefer trade over war. Currently you can land on these planets and walk around, though you will see a transition between each tile on a planet (a zelda style transition between each point on a perlin map).

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • > All of my sectors are procedurally generated down to the last detail. They are given names, histories, FUTURES (yes, I generate a procedural timeline for every point in time, for every area of space). They are then populated with planets and anomalies, and even ships at this point. Ships that belong to empires that span hundreds and thousands of stars...empires that are at war with each other. The empires themselves are randomly generated, so one could be a monarchy of three eyed aliens, while another could be a democratic kind of one eyed alien species that prefer trade over war. Currently you can land on these planets and walk around, though you will see a transition between each tile on a planet (a zelda style transition between each point on a perlin map).

>

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Seconded.

• EPIC

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)